Can Ultrasound Alone Predict Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma with Desmoid-Type Fibromatosis? A Retrospective Analysis of 13 Cases, Focusing on the Stromal Area
received 04 October 2017
revised 21 February 2018
accepted 05 March 2018
05 July 2018 (online)
Papillary thyroid carcinoma with desmoid-type fibromatosis (PTC-DTF) is extremely rare. So far, only 4 cases describing the ultrasound findings of this variant have been reported. Here, we describe the ultrasound findings of 13 cases of PTC-DTF, focusing especially on the DTF area.
Materials and Methods
We retrospectively analyzed the clinical reports, ultrasound reports, and ultrasound photographs obtained from medical records at Kuma Hospital.
The patients included 8 women and 5 men with a mean age of 47.9 years. The widest dimension of the nodules ranged from 16 to 79 mm (mean: 37.5 mm). The original ultrasound reports classified the nodules as either intermediate suspicion or high suspicion. A diagnosis of PTC was suspected in 12 nodules, and anaplastic carcinoma was suspected in 1 nodule. PTC-DTF presented with an irregularly shaped nodule (100%), taller-than-wide sign (84.6%), heterogeneous echogenicity (100%), no microcalcification (76.9%), and no or mild flow signal on Doppler (75.0%). The DTF area was identified in the ultrasound photographs of 8 nodules. DTF areas were generally heterogeneous (62.5%) and more hypoechoic (71.4%) than PTC areas. Microcalcification was not observed in the DTF areas. All of the DTF areas revealed no or mild flow signal. On ultrasound elastography, the DTF areas were not stiff, and they were more elastic than the PTC areas.
It is difficult to predict PTC-DTF using ultrasound alone, and B-mode ultrasonography is more reliable than ultrasound elastography in the ultrasound diagnosis of malignant thyroid nodules.
- 1 Chan JK, Carcangiu ML, Rosai J. Papillary carcinoma of thyroid with exuberant nodular fasciitis-like stroma. Report of three cases. Am J Clin Pathol 1991; 95: 309-314
- 2 Yang YJ, LiVolsi VA, Khurana KK. Papillary thyroid carcinoma with nodular fasciitis-like stroma. Pitfalls in fine-needle aspiration cytology. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1999; 123: 838-841
- 3 Ginter PS, Scognamiglio T. Papillary thyroid carcinoma with nodular fasciitis-like stroma: A usual entity with distinctive morphology. Int J Surg Pathol 2015; 23: 305-307
- 4 Rebecchini C, Nobile A, Piana S, Sarro R, Bisig B, Gerasioms SP, Saglietti C, Matter M, Marino L, Bongiovanni M. Papillary thyroid carcinoma with nodular fasciitis-like stroma and β-catenin mutations should be renamed papillary thyroid carcinoma with desmoid-type fibromatosis. Mod Pathol 2017; 30: 236-245
- 5 Lee KW, Park WC, Kim JY, Lee YS, Kim MK. Sonographic finding of papillary thyroid carcinoma with nodular fasciitis-like stroma. J Med Ultrason 2010; 37: 59-61
- 6 Na KY, Kim HS, Sung JY, Park WS, Kim YW. Papillary carcinoma of the thyroid gland with nodular-fasciitis-like stroma. Korean J Pathol 2013; 47: 167-171
- 7 Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, Pacini F, Randolph GW, Sawka AM, Schlumberger M, Schuff KG, Sherman SI, Sosa JA, Steward DL, Tuttle RM, Wartofsky L. 2015 American thyroid association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: The American thyroid association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2016; 26: 1-133
- 8 Asteria C, Giovanardi A, Pizzocaro A, Cozzaglio L, Morabito A, Somalvico F, Zoppo A. US-elastography in the differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodules. Thyroid 2008; 18: 523-531
- 9 Takada N, Hirokawa M, Ito M, Ito A, Suzuki A, Higuchi M, Kuma S, Hayashi T, Kishikawa M, Horikawa S, Miyauchi A. Papillary thyroid carcinoma with desmoid-type fibromatosis: A clinical, pathological, and immunohistochemical study of 14 cases. Endocr J In press, (Advance Publication)
- 10 Wang Y, Cui NY, Li L, Zhang R, Hao YZ, Xue Li-Yan, Zhou CZ, Jiang YX. An abdominal desmoid-type fibromatosis. Quant Imaging Med Surg 2013; 3: 228-230
- 11 Lou L, Teng J, Qi H, Ban Y. Sonographic appearances of desmoid tumors. J Ultrasound Med 2014; 33: 1519-1525
- 12 Dietrich CF, Barr RG, Farrokh A, Dighe M, Hocke M, Jenssen C, Dong Y, Saftoiu A, Havre RF. Strain elastography – how to do it?. Ultrasound Int Open 2017; 3: E137-E149
- 13 Cantisani V, Grazhdani H, Drakonaki E, D'Andrea V, Di Segni M, Kaleshi E, Calliada F, Catalano C, Redler A, Brunese L, Drudi FM, Fumarola A, Carbotta G, Frattaroli F, Di Leo N, Ciccariello M, Caratozzolo M, D'Ambrosio F. Strain US elastography for the characterization of thyroid nodules: Advantages and limitation. Int J Endocrinol. 2015; 2015: 908575
- 14 Tranquart F, Bleuzen A, Pierre-Renoult P, Chabrolle C, Sam Giao M, Lecomte P. Elastosonography of thyroid lesions. J Radiol 2008; 89: 35-39
- 15 Azizi G, Keller J, Lewis M, Puett D, Rivenbark K, Malchoff C. Performance of elastography for the evaluation of thyroid nodules: A prospective study. Thyroid 2013; 23: 734-740