Subscribe to RSS
Cervical Osteoblastoma: A Case Report[*]Article in several languages: português | English
16 September 2017
21 November 2017
10 May 2019 (online)
Osteoblastoma is a rare benign primary bone tumor. It accounts for 3% of benign and 1% of all primary bone tumors. The treatment goal is complete surgical resection. This treatment limits the risk of recurrence. As osteoblastoma is a highly vascular tumor, complete resection is often difficult. This report describes the case of a 19-year-old male patient who presented severe right-sided neck and shoulder pain. The computed tomography scan revealed a mass lesion on C7 compatible with osteoblastoma. Preoperative embolization and tumor resection were performed. At the 3-year follow-up, the patient had no restrictions on daily activities, and, to date, there has been no evidence of recurrence.
* Study conducted at Departamento de Cirurgia Ortopédica, Hospital de São João, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal. Published originally by Elsevier Ltda.
- 1 Yin H, Zhou W, Yu H, Zhang D, Wu Z, Liu T. , et al. Clinical characteristics and treatment options for two types of osteoblastoma in the mobile spine: a retrospective study of 32 cases and outcomes. Eur Spine J 2014; 23 (02) 411-416
- 2 Trübenbach J, Nägele T, Bauer T, Ernemann U. Preoperative embolization of cervical spine osteoblastomas: report of three cases. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2006; 27 (09) 1910-1912
- 3 Samdani A, Torre-Healy A, Chou D, Cahill AM, Storm PB. Treatment of osteoblastoma at C7: a multidisciplinary approach. A case report and review of the literature. Eur Spine J 2009; 18 (Suppl. 02) 196-200
- 4 Stern P, Dzus A, Cassidy J. Cervical spine osteoblastoma presenting as mechanical neck pain: a case report. J Can Chiropr Assoc 1994; 38 (03) 146-151
- 5 Hadgaonkar SR, Shyam AK, Shah KC, Khurjekar KS, Sancheti PK. Extraosseous thoracic foraminal osteoblastoma: diagnostic dilemma and management with 3 year follow-up. Asian Spine J 2014; 8 (05) 689-694
- 6 Yilmaz C, Civelek E, Caner H, Aydin E, Gerilmez A, Altinors N. Osteoblastoma of C2 corpus: 4 years follow-up. Asian Spine J 2012; 6 (02) 136-139
- 7 Weatherley CR, Jaffray D, O'Brien JP. Radical excision of an osteoblastoma of the cervical spine. A combined anterior and posterior approach. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1986; 68 (02) 325-328