Subscribe to RSS
Comparative Effect between Infiltration of Platelet-rich Plasma and the Use of Corticosteroids in the Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis: A Prospective and Randomized Clinical Trial[*]Article in several languages: português | English
Objectives This study aimed to analyze the efficacy of platelet-rich plasma obtained from the peripheral, autologous blood of the patients in pain complaints reduction and functional improvement of knee osteoarthritis compared with the standard treatment with injectable corticosteroid, such as triamcinolone.
Methods The patients were followed-up clinically at the preinfiltrative visit, with quantitative evaluation using the Knee Society Score (KSS), the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) score, and the Kellgren and Lawrence scales. In addition, they were reevaluated with the same scales after 1 month and 6 months of intervention with 2.5 mL of triamcinolone acetate or 5 mL of platelet-rich plasma. The study was performed on 50 patients with knee osteoarthritis treated at the Medical Specialty Center and randomly divided into equivalent samples for each therapy.
Results The present study verified the reduction of pain scores, such as the WOMAC score, and elevations of functional scales, such as the KSS, evidenced in 180 days when using platelet-rich plasma, a therapy that uses the autologous blood of the patient and has fewer side effects.
Conclusion Although both platelet-rich plasma and corticosteroid therapies have been shown to be effective in the reduction pain complaints and functional recovery, there was a statistically significant difference between them at 180 days. According to the results obtained, platelet-rich plasma presented longer-lasting effects within 180 days in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis.
* Work performed at the Medical Specialty Center from Universidade Tiradentes (Unitmed), Aracaju, SE, Brazil Originally Published by Elsevier Editora Ltda.
Received: 20 October 2017
Accepted: 04 January 2018
03 February 2020 (online)
© 2020. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Sociedade Brasileira de Ortopedia e Traumatologia. Published by Thieme Revinter Publicações Ltda
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1 Jordan KM, Arden NK, Doherty M. et al. Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials ESCISIT. EULAR Recommendations 2003: an evidence based approach to the management of knee osteoarthritis: Report of a Task Force of the Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutic Trials (ESCISIT). Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62 (12) 1145-1155
- 2 Lawrence RC, Felson DT, Helmick CG. et al. National Arthritis Data Workgroup. Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part II. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58 (01) 26-35
- 3 Rezende MU, De Campos GC. A osteoartrite é uma doenc¸a mecânica ou inamatória?. Rev Bras Ortop 2013; 48 (06) 471-474
- 4 Scarpone M, Rabago D, Snell E. et al. Effectiveness of platelet-rich plasma injection for rotator cuff tendinopathy: a prospective open-label study. Glob Adv Health Med 2013; 2 (02) 26-31
- 5 Pelletier JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Abramson SB. Osteoarthritis, an inflammatory disease: potential implication for the selection of new therapeutic targets. Arthritis Rheum 2001; 44 (06) 1237-1247
- 6 Fitzgerald JB, Jin M, Grodzinsky AJ. Shear and compression differentially regulate clusters of functionally related temporal transcription patterns in cartilage tissue. J Biol Chem 2006; 281 (34) 24095-24103
- 7 Sarvimäki A, Stenbock-Hult B. Quality of life in old age described as a sense of well-being, meaning and value. J Adv Nurs 2000; 32 (04) 1025-1033
- 8 Clauw DJ, Witter J. Pain and rheumatology: thinking outside the joint. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 60 (02) 321-324
- 9 Hameed F, Ihm J. Injectable medications for osteoarthritis. PM R 2012; 4 (5, Suppl): S75-S81
- 10 Evaniew N, Simunovic N, Karlsson J. Cochrane in CORR®: Viscosupplementation for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2014; 472 (07) 2028-2034
- 11 Bannuru RR, Natov NS, Obadan IE, Price LL, Schmid CH, McAlindon TE. Therapeutic trajectory of hyaluronic acid versus corticosteroids in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 61 (12) 1704-1711
- 12 Cheng OT, Souzdalnitski D, Vrooman B, Cheng J. Evidence-based knee injections for the management of arthritis. Pain Med 2012; 13 (06) 740-753
- 13 Nguyen RT, Borg-Stein J, McInnis K. Applications of platelet-rich plasma in musculoskeletal and sports medicine: an evidence-based approach. PM R 2011; 3 (03) 226-250
- 14 Krogh TP, Bartels EM, Ellingsen T. et al. Comparative effectiveness of injection therapies in lateral epicondylitis: a systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Sports Med 2013; 41 (06) 1435-1446
- 15 Eppley BL, Woodell JE, Higgins J. Platelet quantification and growth factor analysis from platelet-rich plasma: implications for wound healing. Plast Reconstr Surg 2004; 114 (06) 1502-1508
- 16 Patel S, Dhillon MS, Aggarwal S, Marwaha N, Jain A. Treatment with platelet-rich plasma is more effective than placebo for knee osteoarthritis: a prospective, double-blind, randomized trial. Am J Sports Med 2013; 41 (02) 356-364
- 17 Sonnleitner D, Huemer P, Sullivan DY. A simplified technique for producing platelet-rich plasma and platelet concentrate for intraoral bone grafting techniques: a technical note. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2000; 15 (06) 879-882
- 18 Messora MR, Nagata MJ, Furlaneto FA. et al. Análise da eficiência do protocolo de dupla centrifugac¸ão para o preparo do plasma rico em plaquetas (PRP) - estudo experimental em coelhos. RSBO Rev Sul-Bras Odontol. 2009; 6 (03) 291-296
- 19 Schiphof D, Boers M, Bierma-Zeinstra SMA. Differences in descriptions of Kellgren and Lawrence grades of knee osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2008; 67 (07) 1034-1036
- 20 Silva AL, Demange MK, Gobbi RG, da Silva TF, Pécora JR, Croci AT. Translation and Validation of the Knee Society Score - KSS for Brazilian Portuguese. Acta Ortop Bras 2012; 20 (01) 25-30
- 21 Bellamy N, Buchanan WW, Goldsmith CH, Campbell J, Stitt LW. Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. J Rheumatol 1988; 15 (12) 1833-1840
- 22 Dinjens RN, Senden R, Heyligers IC, Grimm B. Clinimetric quality of the new 2011 Knee Society score: high validity, low completion rate. Knee 2014; 21 (03) 647-654
- 23 Oliveira AM, Peccin MS, Silva KN, Teixeira LE, Trevisani VF. Impact of exercise on the functional capacity and pain of patients with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized clinical trial. Rev Bras Reumatol 2012; 52 (06) 876-882
- 24 Hmamouchi I, Allali F, Tahiri L. et al. Clinically important improvement in the WOMAC and predictor factors for response to non-specific non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in osteoarthritic patients: a prospective study. BMC Res Notes 2012; 5: 58
- 25 Eccles M, Freemantle N, Mason J. The North of England Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug Guideline Development Group. North of England evidence based guideline development project: summary guideline for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs versus basic analgesia in treating the pain of degenerative arthritis. BMJ 1998; 317 (7157): 526-530
- 26 Roddy E, Zhang W, Doherty M. Aerobic walking or strengthening exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee? A systematic review. Ann Rheum Dis 2005; 64 (04) 544-548
- 27 Mei-Dan O, Carmont MR, Laver L, Mann G, Maffulli N, Nyska M. Platelet-rich plasma or hyaluronate in the management of osteochondral lesions of the talus. Am J Sports Med 2012; 40 (03) 534-541
- 28 Leitner GC, Gruber R, Neumüller J. et al. Platelet content and growth factor release in platelet-rich plasma: a comparison of four different systems. Vox Sang 2006; 91 (02) 135-139
- 29 Mohammadi F, Taghizadeh S, Ghaffarinejad F, Khorrami M, Sobhani S. Proprioception, dynamic balance and maximal quadriceps strength in females with knee osteoarthritis and normal control subjects. Int J Rheum Dis 2008; 11 (01) 39-44
- 30 Oliveira NC, Vatri S, Alfieri FM. Comparação dos efeitos de exercícios resistidos versus cinesioterapia na osteoartrite de joelho. Rev Acta Fisiátr. 2016; 23 (01) 7-11