Subscribe to RSS
Superior Capsular Reconstruction with Fascia Lata Allograft for Irreparable Supraspinatus Tendon Tears[*]Article in several languages: português | English
06 September 2017
07 November 2017
09 October 2019 (online)
Superior capsular reconstruction is a recently described procedure for the treatment of irreparable supraspinatus tendon tears. Graft options that have been previously described include autogenous fascia lata and decellularized dermal graft. No studies were published with the use of fascia lata allograft. The purpose of this technical note is to describe the surgical technique of superior capsular reconstruction using fascia lata allograft. The procedure is performed by arthroscopic visualization, with the patient positioned in the lateral decubitus position. The authors describe a technique based on the use of a double-pulley knot in the glenoid and greater tuberosity, facilitating the procedure and allowing the graft to be brought into the subacromial space in the definitive position, with the appropriate tension. The allografts are available from this institution's tissue bank, cryopreserved and submitted to microbiological and histopathological evaluation. Superior capsular reconstruction is a promising surgery. The technique described in the present technical note shows a viable arthroscopic alternative, with a smaller number of anchors when compared with other techniques.
* Study developed at the Shoulder and Elbow Group, Institute of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Hospital das Clínicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo, SP, Brazil. Originally Published by Elsevier Editora Ltda.
- 1 Mihata T, Lee TQ, Watanabe C. , et al. Clinical results of arthroscopic superior capsule reconstruction for irreparable rotator cuff tears. Arthroscopy 2013; 29 (03) 459-470
- 2 Mihata T, McGarry MH, Pirolo JM, Kinoshita M, Lee TQ. Superior capsule reconstruction to restore superior stability in irreparable rotator cuff tears: a biomechanical cadaveric study. Am J Sports Med 2012; 40 (10) 2248-2255
- 3 Mihata T, Lee TQ, Itami Y, Fujisawa Y, Ohue M, Neo M. Arthroscopic superior capsule reconstruction for irreparable rotator cuff tears: a prospective clinical study in 100 consecutive patients with 1 to 8 years of follow-up. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2016; 25 (06) e188-90 (Paper #41).
- 4 Mihata T, McGarry MH, Kahn T, Goldberg I, Neo M, Lee TQ. Biomechanical effect of thickness and tension of fascia lata graft on glenohumeral stability for superior capsule reconstruction in irreparable supraspinatus tears. Arthroscopy 2016; 32 (03) 418-426
- 5 Mihata T, McGarry MH, Kahn T, Goldberg I, Neo M, Lee TQ. Biomechanical role of capsular continuity in superior capsule reconstruction for irreparable tears of the supraspinatus tendon. Am J Sports Med 2016; 44 (06) 1423-1430
- 6 Tokish JM, Beicker C. Superior capsule reconstruction technique using an acellular dermal allograft. Arthrosc Tech 2015; 4 (06) e833-e839
- 7 Adams CR, Denard PJ, Brady PC, Hartzler RU, Burkhart SS. The arthroscopic superior capsular reconstruction. Am J Orthop 2016; 45 (05) 320-324