Subscribe to RSS
Functional Evaluation after Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction in Athletes[*]Article in several languages: português | English
21 August 2017
19 October 2017
10 May 2019 (online)
Objective The aim of the present study was to evaluate the clinical results, functional outcomes, and risk factors after anatomic reconstructions using knee ﬂexor grafts in athletes.
Methods The authors followed-up 32 patients and 34 knees for 1 year in a prospective design case series evaluating pre- and postoperative functional scores (Kujala and Lysholm) and associated risk factors.
Results All of the 32 patients had a signiﬁcant increase of the Lysholm and Kujala scores. Patients with < 5 preoperative dislocations had a better score on the Lysholm and Kujala scales. The mean preoperative Lysholm score was 62.8, and the mean postoperative score was 94.3. The mean preoperative Kujala score was 63.0, and the mean postoperative score was 94.0.
Conclusion Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction with hamstring graft in athletes with patellar instability improved clinical and functional scores. The bone drilling through the patella and the positioning of the femoral tunnel should be judiciously performed.
Keywordsjoint instability - ligaments articular - patellar dislocation - patellofemoral joint - athletes
* Work developed at the Centro de Traumatologia do Esporte (CETE), Universidade Federal de São Paulo, São Paulo , SP, Brazil.
- 1 Amis AA, Firer P, Mountney J, Senavongse W, Thomas NP. Anatomy and biomechanics of the medial patellofemoral ligament. Knee 2003; 10 (03) 215-220
- 2 Nomura E, Horiuchi Y, Kihara M. Medial patellofemoral ligament restraint in lateral patellar translation and reconstruction. Knee 2000; 7 (02) 121-127
- 3 Higuchi T, Arai Y, Takamiya H, Miyamoto T, Tokunaga D, Kubo T. An analysis of the medial patellofemoral ligament length change pattern using open-MRI. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2010; 18 (11) 1470-1475
- 4 Steensen RN, Dopirak RM, McDonald III WG. The anatomy and isometry of the medial patellofemoral ligament: implications for reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 2004; 32 (06) 1509-1513
- 5 Amis AA. Current concepts on anatomy and biomechanics of patellar stability. Sports Med Arthrosc Rev 2007; 15 (02) 48-56
- 6 Mitchell J, Magnussen RA, Collins CL, Currie DW, Best TM, Comstock RD. , et al. Epidemiology of patellofemoral instability injuries among high school athletes in the United States. Am J Sports Med 2015; 43 (07) 1676-1682
- 7 Swenson DM, Collins CL, Best TM, Flanigan DC, Fields SK, Comstock RD. Epidemiology of knee injuries among U.S. high school athletes, 2005/2006-2010/2011. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2013; 45 (03) 462-469
- 8 Fithian DC, Paxton EW, Stone ML, Silva P, Davis DK, Elias DA. , et al. Epidemiology and natural history of acute patellar dislocation. Am J Sports Med 2004; 32 (05) 1114-1121
- 9 Lippacher S, Dreyhaupt J, Williams SR, Reichel H, Nelitz M. Reconstruction of the medial patellofemoral ligament: clinical outcomes and return to sports. Am J Sports Med 2014; 42 (07) 1661-1668
- 10 Yeung M, Leblanc MC, Ayeni OR, Khan M, Hiemstra LA, Kerslake S. , et al. Indications for medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction: a systematic review. J Knee Surg 2016; 29 (07) 543-554
- 11 Mackay ND, Smith NA, Parsons N, Spalding T, Thompson P, Sprowson AP. Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction for patellar dislocation: a systematic review. Orthop J Sports Med 2014; 2 (08) 2325967114544021
- 12 Dejour D, Reynaud P, Lecoultre B. Douleurs et instabilité rotulienne. Essai de classification. Med Hyg (Geneve) 1998; 56: 1466-1471
- 13 Schock EJ, Burks RT. Medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction using a hamstring graft. Oper Tech Sports Med 2001; 9 (03) 169-175
- 14 Schöttle PB, Romero J, Schmeling A, Weiler A. Technical note: anatomical reconstruction of the medial patellofemoral ligament using a free gracilis autograft. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2008; 128 (05) 479-484
- 15 Gonçaives MB, Júnior LH, Soares LF, Gonçaives TJ, Dos Santos RL, Pereira ML. Reconstrução do ligamento patelofemoral medial para tratamento da luxação recidivante da patela. Rev Bras Ortop 2015; 46 (02) 160-164
- 16 Lind M, Jakobsen BW, Lund B, Christiansen SE. Reconstruction of the medial patellofemoral ligament for treatment of patellar instability. Acta Orthop 2008; 79 (03) 354-360
- 17 Yiding-Xia HA, Zhang K, Liu Y. Effects of femoral tunnel position on knee function after medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 2015; 29 (08) 951-954
- 18 Elias JJ, Cosgarea AJ. Technical errors during medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction could overload medial patellofemoral cartilage: a computational analysis. Am J Sports Med 2006; 34 (09) 1478-1485
- 19 Ziegler CG, Fulkerson JP, Edgar C. Radiographic reference points are inaccurate with and without a true lateral radiograph: the importance of anatomy in medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 2016; 44 (01) 133-142
- 20 Arliani GG, Silva AV, Ueda LR, Astur DC, Yazigi Júnior JA, Cohen M. Reconstruction of the medial patellofemoral ligament in cases of acute traumatic dislocation of the patella: current perspectives and trends in Brazil. Rev Bras Ortop 2014; 49 (05) 499-506
- 21 Parikh SN, Wall EJ. Patellar fracture after medial patellofemoral ligament surgery: a report of five cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011; 93 (17) e97 , (1–8)
- 22 Song SY, Kim IS, Chang HG, Shin JH, Kim HJ, Seo YJ. Anatomic medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction using patellar suture anchor fixation for recurrent patellar instability. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2014; 22 (10) 2431-2437
- 23 Mountney J, Senavongse W, Amis AA, Thomas NP. Tensile strength of the medial patellofemoral ligament before and after repair or reconstruction. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2005; 87 (01) 36-40
- 24 Efe T, Seibold J, Geßlein M, Schüttler K, Schmitt J, Schofer MD. , et al. Non-anatomic proximal realignment for recurrent patellar dislocation does not sufficiently prevent redislocation. Open Orthop J 2012; 6: 114-117
- 25 Weinberger JM, Fabricant PD, Taylor SA, Mei JY, Jones KJ. Influence of graft source and configuration on revision rate and patient-reported outcomes after MPFL reconstruction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2017; 25 (08) 2511-2519
- 26 Placella G, Speziali A, Sebastiani E, Morello S, Tei MM, Cerulli G. Biomechanical evaluation of medial patello-femoral ligament reconstruction: comparison between a double-bundle converging tunnels technique versus a single-bundle technique. Musculoskelet Surg 2016; 100 (02) 103-107