Case reports on integrated management of tubercular disease
Received21 April 2016
revised20 August 2017
accepted28 August 2017
20 December 2017 (online)
Background: Host immunity plays an important role in prevention of disease as is evident by the increased incidence of Tuberculosis (TB) in immuno-compromised population of HIV infected, diabetes inflicted, immune-suppressant therapy and elderly people. Rising incidence of antibiotic resistance has led to resurgence of TB of epidemic proportions. Integrated treatment with add on homeopathy in addition to anti-tuberculosis treatment (ATT) appears to improve outcome in TB. The intervention has been integrated treatment with homeopathy regime, which is using a patient specific, disease specific and supportive medicine simultaneously, all individualized for the patient and the disease.
Cases: Case 1: Pott's spine with paravertebral abscess, not responding to ATT. Addition of homeopathy led to fall in temperature, improved appetite, increase in weight and reduction of abscess.
Case 2: Recurrent sub-acute intestinal obstruction. The patient could not tolerate ATT but responded to homeopathy by reduction of abdominal pain and distension, vomiting, loose stools and queasiness.
Case 3: Pulmonary TB, treated with both ATT and homeopathy from beginning, led to rapid recovery and shortened treatment time.
Conclusion: The addition of homeopathy to ATT is patient friendly, cost effective and appears to reduces the duration of treatment. Its role as immuno-modulatory therapy should be evaluated and explored.
- 1 World Health Organisation. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB). October 2013. (Update) http://www.who.int/tb/challenges/mdr/mdr_tb_factsheet.pdf?ua=1.
- 2 Barnes P., Blotch A.B., Davidson B.T. et al. Tuberculosis in patients with immuno-deficiency virus infection. N Engl J Med 1991; 324: 1644-1650.
- 3 Smith T., Wolff K.A., Nguyan L. Molecular biology of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis . Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 2013; 374: 53-80.
- 4 Gandhi N.R., Num P., Dheda K. et al. Multidrug resistance and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: a threat to global control of tuberculosis. Lancet 2010; 375: 1830-1843.
- 5 Chand K.S., Manchanda R.K., Mittal R., Batra S., Banavaliker J.N., De I. Homeopathic treatment in addition to standard care in multi drug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled clinical trial. Homeopathy 2014; 103: 97-107.
- 6 Chand S.K., Manchanda R.K., Batra S., Mittal R. Homeopathy in the treatment of tubercular lymphadenitis (TBLN) – an Indian experience. Homeopathy 2011; 100: 157-167.