Subscribe to RSS
High diluted and dynamised follicle stimulating hormone modulates steroid production in isolated porcine preantral follicles cultured in vitro
Received17 March 2016
revised09 March 2017
accepted16 March 2017
02 January 2018 (online)
Objective: This study investigated the effect of two different follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) preparations (diluted/dynamised and diluted) on the in vitro development and steroid production (estradiol, progesterone and testosterone) of isolated porcine preantral follicle after in vitro culture.
Methods: Secondary follicles were cultured in Alpha Minimum Essential Medium (α-MEM+) supplemented with grain ethanol (AL – 0.2%, v/v), diluted/dynamised FSH (rFSH 6cH – 0.05 fg/mL) or diluted-only FSH (1.5 ng/mL) for 4 days. Follicle development was evaluated on the basis of follicular growth, morphology and hormone production.
Results: The percentage of follicular integrity and extrusion were not affected by the treatments after culture. For all treatments, follicular diameter increased significantly from Day 0 to Day 4. On Day 2 of culture, the estradiol production was significantly higher in AL and diluted-only FSH treatments compared with diluted/dynamised FSH. However, diluted/dynamised FSH showed a significantly higher progesterone production on Day 2. Only on Day 4, the testosterone production was higher in the AL than diluted-only FSH treatments, but similar to diluted/dynamised FSH treatment. Except for diluted/dynamised FSH treatment, progesterone production increased (P < 0.05) from Day 2 to Day 4; only for AL treatment, a significant increase of testosterone production was observed during culture.
Conclusion: Compared to control the diluted/dynamised FSH addition increased progesterone production but decreased the estradiol production after in vitro culture of isolated porcine preantral follicles. Taken together the results suggest that at least for progesterone production the mechanism of action of diluted/dynamised FSH differs from its vehicle.
- 1 Hahnemann S. Organon of medicine: the first integral English translation of the definitive sixth edition of the original work on homoeopathic medicine. Los Angeles: J.P. Tarcher, Inc; 1982.
- 2 Moffett J.R., Arun P., Namboodiri M.A.A. Laboratory research in homeopathy: con. Integr Cancer Ther 2006; 5: 333-342.
- 3 Jütte R. Hahnemann and placebo. Homeopathy 2014; 103: 208-212.
- 4 Figueiredo J.R., Celestino J.J.H., Rodrigues A.P.R., Silva J.R.V. Importância da biotécnica de MOIFOPA para o estudo da foliculogênese e produção in vitro de embriões em larga escala. Rev Bras Rep Anim 2007; 31: 143-152.
- 5 Stefansdottir A., Fowler P.A., Powles-Gloverc N., Andersond R.A., Spearsa N. Use of ovary culture techniques in reproductive toxicology. Reprod Toxicol 2014; 49: 117-135.
- 6 Amer H.A., Hammam A.M., Shalaby M.A., Hafez S.S.M., Hsssein M.A.M. Phytoestrogen effect of Ambrosia maritima (Damsissa) on the ovarian activity of immature rabbits. Glob Vet 2014; 13 (04) 590-600.
- 7 Barberino R.S., Barros V.R.P., Menezes V.G. et al Amburana cearensis leaf extract maintains survival and promotes in vitro development of ovine secondary follicles. Zygote 2015; 17: 1-9.
- 8 Legros M.S. Utilizacioin de La homeopatia en endocrinologia ginecoloigica. Uso terapeiutico de las hormonas diluidas y dinamizadas. Rev Med Homeopat 2010; 3 (01) 9-13.
- 9 Lima L.F., Rocha M.P.R., Alves A.M.C.V. et al Dynamized follicle-stimulating hormone affects the development of ovine preantral follicles cultured in vitro. Homeopathy 2013; 102: 41-48.
- 10 Lima L.F., Rocha R.M.P., Alves A.M.C.V. et al Comparison between the additive effects of diluted (rFSH) and diluted/dynamized (FSH 6 cH) recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone on the in vitro culture of ovine preantral follicles enclosed inovarian tissue. Compl Ther Med 2016; 25: 39-44.
- 11 Picton H.M., Harris S.E., Muruvi W., Chambers E.L. The in vitro growth and maturation of follicles. Reproduction 2008; 136: 703-715.
- 12 George J.W., Dille E.A., Heckert L.L. Current concepts of follicle-stimulating hormone receptor gene regulation. Biol Reprod 2011; 84: 7-17.
- 13 Ulloa-Aguirre A., Zarinan T., Dias J.A., Conn M. Mutations in G protein-coupled receptors that impact receptor trafficking and reproductive function. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2014; 382: 411-423.
- 14 Rocha R.M.P., Alves A.M.C.V., Lima L.F. et al Is the mouse follicle culture a good model for the goat with respect to the development of preantral follicles in vitro?. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2014; 49: 27-30.
- 15 Telfer E.E., Binnie J.P., McCaffery F.H., Campbell B.K. In vitro development of oocytes from porcine and bovine primary follicles. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2000; 163: 117-123.
- 16 Smitz J., Dolmans M.M., Donnez J. et al Current achievements and future research directions in ovarian tissue culture, in vitro follicle development and transplantation: implications for fertility preservation. Hum Reprod Update 2010; 16: 395-414.
- 17 Lunardi F.O., Bass C.S., Bernuci M.P. et al Ewe ovarian tissue vitrification: a model for the study of fertility preservation in women. JBRA Assist Reprod 2015; 19 (04) 241-251.
- 18 Gerritse R., Beerendonk C.C., Tijink M.S. et al Optimal perfusion of an intact ovary as a prerequisite for successful ovarian cryopreservation. Hum Reprod 2008; 23 (02) 329-335.
- 19 Munn C.S., Kiser L.C., Wetzner S.M., Baer J.E. Ovary volume in young and premenopausal adults: US determination. Work in progress. Radiology 1986; 159: 731-732.
- 20 Wu J., Emery B.R., Carrell D.T. In vitro growth, maturation, fertlization and embryonic development of oocytes from porcine preantral follicles. Biol Reprod 2001; 64: 375-381.
- 21 Witt C.M., Bluth M., Albrecht H., Weisshuhn T.E., Baumgartner S., Willich S.N. The in vitro evidence for an effect of high homeopathic potencies–a systematic review of the literature. Complement Ther Med 2007; 15 (02) 128-138.
- 22 Jorssen E.P., Langbeen A., Marei W.F. et al Morphologic characterization of isolated bovine early preantral follicles during short-term individual in vitro culture. Theriogenology 2015; 84 (02) 301-311.
- 23 Araújo V.R., Gastal M.O., Figueiredo J.R., Gastal E.L. In vitro culture of bovine preantral follicles: a review. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2014; 12: 78.
- 24 Sá NAR Araújo VR., Correia H.H.V., Ferreira A.C.A. et al Anethole improves the in vitro development of isolated caprine secondary follicles. Theriogenology 2017; 89: 226-234.
- 25 Cadoret V., Frapsauce C., Jarrier P. et al Molecular evidence that follicle development is accelerated in vitro compared to in vivo. Reproduction 2017; 153 (05) 493-508.
- 26 Sales A.D., Duarte A.B., Rodrigues G.Q. et al Steady-state level of messenger RNA and immunolocalization of aquaporins 3, 7, and 9 during in vitro growth of ovine preantral follicles. Theriogenology 2015; 84: 1-10.
- 27 Gutierrez C.G., Ralph J.H., Telfer E.E., Wilmut I., Webb R. Growth and antrum formation of bovine preantral follicles in long-term culture in vitro. Biol Reprod 2000; 62: 1322-1328.
- 28 Carnegie J.A., Tsang B.K. Follicle-stimulating hormone-regulated granulosa cell steroidogenesis: Involvement of the calcium-calmodulin system. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1983; 145: 223-228.
- 29 Hunzicker-Dunn M., Mayo K. Chapter 14-gonadotropin signaling in the ovary. In: Knobil and Neill's Physiology of Reproduction 3rd edn, 2006; 547-592.
- 30 Jayes F.C.L., Day R.N., Garmey J.C., Urban R.J., Zhang G., Veldhuis J.D. Calcium ions positively modulate follicle-stimulating hormone- and exogenous cyclic 3',5'-adenosine monophosphate-driven transcription of the p450scc gene in porcine granulosa cells. Endocrinology 2000; 141: 2377-2384.
- 31 Nagata C., Kabuto M., Takatsuka N., Shimizu H. Associations of alcohol, height, and reproductive factors with serum hormone concentrations in postmenopausal Japanese women. Steroid hormones in Japanese postmenopausal women. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1997; 44: 235-241.
- 32 Stocco C. Aromatase expression in the ovary: hormonal and molecular regulation. Steroids 2008; 73: 473-487.
- 33 Wimalasena J., Meehan D., Dostal R., de Silva M. Selective inhibition of luteinizing hormone action by ethanol in cultured human granulosa cells. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1993; 17: 340-344.
- 34 Andersen C.Y., Ezcurra D. Human steroidogenesis: implications for controlled ovarian stimulation with exogenous gonadotropins. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2014; 12: 128.
- 35 Bridges P.J., Brusie M.A., Fortune J.E. Elevated temperature (heat stress) in vitro reduces androstenedione and estradiol and increases progesterone secretion by follicular cells from bovine dominant follicles. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2005; 29: 508-522.
- 36 Mahalingam S., Gao L., Eisner J., Helferich W., Flaws J.A. Effects of isoliquiritigenin on ovarian antral follicle growth and steroidogenesis. Reprod Toxicol 2016; 66: 107-114.
- 37 Paes V.M., Vieira L.A., Correia H.H. et al Effect of heat stress on the survival and development of in vitro cultured bovine preantral follicles and on in vitro maturation of cumulus-oocyte complex. Theriogenology 2016; 86: 994-1003.