Subscribe to RSS
Action of antibiotic oxacillin on in vitro growth of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) previously treated with homeopathic medicines
02 November 2015
revised 30 August 2016
accepted 26 October 2016
20 December 2017 (online)
Background: Resistance to antibiotics is a major public health concern worldwide. New treatment options are needed and homeopathy is one such option. We sought to assess the effect of the homeopathic medicine Belladonna (Bell) and a nosode (biotherapy) prepared from a multi-drug resistant bacterial species, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), on the same bacterium.
Methods: Bell and MRSA nosode were prepared in 6cH and 30cH potencies in 30% alcohol and sterile water, according to the Brazilian Homeopathic Pharmacopeia and tested on MRSA National Collection of Type Cultures (NCTC) 10442. We assessed in vitro bacterial growth, deoxyribonuclease (DNAase) and hemolysin activity, and in vitro bacterial growth in combination with oxacillin (minimum inhibitory concentration – MIC). All values were compared to control: 30% alcohol and water.
Results: In vitro growth of MRSA was statistically significantly inhibited in the presence of Bell and nosode 6cH and 30cH compared to controls (p < 0.0001); and with combination of Bell or nosode 6cH and 30cH and oxacillin (p < 0.001). Bell 30cH and nosode 6cH and 30cH significantly decreased bacterial DNAse production (p < 0.001) and reduced red blood cell lysis.
Conclusions: Cultures of MRSA treated with Belladonna or MRSA nosode exhibited reduced growth in vitro, reduced enzymatic activity and became more vulnerable to the action of the antibiotic oxacillin. Further studies are needed on the biomolecular basis of these effects.
- 1 Gootz T.D. The global problem of antibiotic resistance. Crit Rev Immunol 2010; 20 (01) 79-93.
- 2 WHO. The top 10 causes of death. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/ [Accessed 12 March 2015].
- 3 Viksveen P. Antibiotics and the development of resistant microorganisms. Can homeopathy be an alternative?. Homeopathy 2003; 92 (02) 99-107.
- 4 Fisher P. Homeopathy and antimicrobial resistance. Homeopathy 2014; 103 (02) 95-96.
- 5 Chand K.S., Manchanda R.K., Mittal R., Batra S., Banavaliker J.N., De I. Homeopathic treatment in addition to standard care in multi drug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled clinical trial. Homeopathy 2014; 103 (02) 97-107.
- 6 Fixsen A. Should homeopathy be considered as part of a treatment strategy for otitis media with effusion in children?. Homeopathy 2013; 102 (02) 145-150.
- 7 European Committee for Homeopathy (ECH). Homeopathy – an alternative to antibiotics? Available at: http://www.homeopathyeurope.org/publications/homeopathy-position-papers/Homeopathy%20Alternative%20to%20antibiotics.pdf/view [Accessed 20 June 2015].
- 8 Passeti T.A., Manzoni A.J., Ambrozino L.G.P. et al. Ação dos medicamentos homeopณticos Arnica montana, Gelsemium sempervirens, Belladonna, Mercurius solubilis e nosódio sobre o crescimento in vitro da bactéria Streptococcus pyogenes . Rev Homeopat 2014; 77 1/2 1-9.
- 9 Schlievert P.M., Strandberg K.L., Lin Y.C., Peterson M.L., Leung D.Y. Secreted virulence factor comparison between methicillin-resistant and methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus, and its relevance to atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125 (01) Jan 39-49.
- 10 Sousa-Junior C., Nunes E.W.F., Nascimento E.D., Oliveira S.M., Melo M.C.N., Fernandes M.J.B.C. Prevalência de Staphylococcus spp resistentes à meticilina isolados em uma maternidade escola da Cidade de Natal, Estado do Rio Grande do Norte. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 2009; 42 (02) 179-182.
- 11 Farmacopéia Homeopณtica Brasileira. 3rd edn Brazil: Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitณria (ANVISA); Available at: http://www.anvisa.gov.br/hotsite/farmacopeiabrasileira/conteudo/3a_edicao 2011. [Accessed 20 February 2015].
- 12 Gudiña E.J., Rocha V., Teixeira J.A., Rodrigues L.R. Antimicrobial and antiadhesive properties of a biosurfactant isolated from Lactobacillus paracasei spp. paracasei A20. Lett Appl Microbiol 2010; 50 (04) 419-424.
- 13 Clinical Laboratory Standard Institute (CLSI). Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing. Seventeenth Information Supplement M 100-S24 Wayne, Pennsylvania: CLSI; 2014.
- 14 Camerlink I., Ellinger L., Bakker E.J., Lantinga E.A. Homeopathy as replacement to antibiotics in the case of Escherichia coli diarrhoea in neonatal piglets. Homeopathy 2010; 99 (01) 57-62.
- 15 Das S., De A., Dutta S., Biswas R., Boujedaini N., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Potentized homeopathic drug Arsenicum Album 30C positively modulates protein biomarkers and gene expressions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae exposed to arsenate. J Chin Integrat Med 2011; 9 (07) 752-760.
- 16 Bonafini C., Marzotto M., Olioso D., Bellavite P. Biological activity of interferon gamma and lipopolysaccharide on the nitric oxide production in C6 astroglioma cells and some unexpected effects of potentization. Int J High Dilution Res 2015; 14 (02) 23-27.
- 17 Rodrigues de Santana F., de Paula Coelho C., Cardoso T.N. et al. Modulation of inflammation response to murine cutaneous Leishmaniasis by homeopathic medicines: antimonium crudum 30cH. Homeopathy 2014; 103 (04) 264-274.
- 18 Kobayashi S.D., DeLeo F.R. An update on community-associated MRSA virulence. Curr Opin Pharmacol 2009; 9 (05) 545-551.
- 19 Fontaine P., Lawson K. Classical homeopathic approach in the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus . Explore 2009; 5 (06) 347-351.
- 20 Berdai M.A., Labib S., Chetouani K., Harandou P. Atropa belladonna intoxication: a case report. Pan Afr Med J 2012; 11: 72.
- 21 Allen TF. The encyclopedia of pure materia medica; a record of the positive effects of drugs upon the healthy human organism. New York: Boericke & Tafel, 187, Vol II, pp 67–128.
- 22 Chalmers I., Toth B. Nineteenth-century controlled trials to test whether belladonna prevents scarlet fever. J R Soc Med 2009; 102: 548-550.
- 23 Cheng A.G., DeDent A.C., Schneewind O., Missiakas D. A play in four acts: Staphylococcus aureus abscess formation. Trends Microbiol 2011; 19 (05) May 225-232.
- 24 Marzotto M., Olioso D., Brizzi M., Tononi P., Cristofoletti M., Bellavite P. Extreme sensitivity of gene expression in human SH-SY5Y neurocytes to ultra-low doses of Gelsemium sempervirens . BMC Complement Altern Med 2014; Mar 19 14: 104 10.1186/1472-6882-14-104.
- 25 Bigagli E., Luceri C., Bernardini S., Dei A., Filippini A., Dolara A. Exploring the effects of homeopathic Apis mellifica preparations on gene expression profiles. Homeopathy 2014; 103: 127-132.
- 26 International Working Group on the Classification of Staphylococcal Cassette Chromosome Elements (IWG-SCC). Classification of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec): guidelines for reporting novel SCCmec elements. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2009; 53 (12) 4961-4967.
- 27 Neill H., Oxenham M. Homoeopathic nosodes. Vet Rec 1993; 1332 (02) 48.
- 28 Bracho G., Varela E., Fernณndez R. et al. Large-scale application of highly-diluted bacteria for Leptospirosis epidemic control. Homeopathy 2010; 99 (03) 156-166.