Subscribe to RSS
Homeopathic therapy in pediatric atopic diseases: short- and long-term results
Received18 July 2015
revised04 March 2016
accepted09 March 2016
22 December 2017 (online)
Aim: To study the outcomes of atopic diseases in children treated with homeopathy at the Homeopathic Clinic of Lucca (Italy) and related long-term results after approximately an 8-year period.
Materials and methods: Our data derive from an observational longitudinal study carried out on 857 pediatric patients who consecutive visited from 1998 to 2014. Children with atopic diseases were 325 (37.9%), 126 (39%) suffered from atopic dermatitis, 72 (22%) from allergic rhinitis, and 127 (39%) from asthma. Moreover, a long-term study was conducted on a subset of 107/165 patients, consecutively visited from 1998 to 2006, and with ≥5 years follow-up. The study also investigated the evolution of overall symptoms in those patients with a complex atopic symptomatology.
Results: 75.8% of atopic children had moderate or major improvement (67.1% with asthma as the primary disease; 84.2% rhinitis; 84.2% dermatitis). At re-evaluation after 5–10 years, complete remission of atopic symptoms was obtained in 70.1% of the children: 84.2% in dermatitis; 48.1% in allergic rhinitis; 71.4% in asthma. Children with two or three atopic diseases at the first visit were completely cured in 40% of cases.
Conclusion: The results seem to confirm that homeopathic medicine produces positive therapeutic response in atopic children.
- 1 Bousquet J., Khaltaev N., Cruz A.A. et al. Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma (ARIA) 2008 update (in collaboration with the World Health Organization, GA(2)LEN and Allergen). Allergy 63 (86) 2008; 8-160.
- 2 Pawankar R., Canonica G.W., Holgate S.T., Lockey R.F. WAO white book on allergy 2011–2012: executive summary. 2011. World Health Organization; Available at: http://www.worldallergy.org/publications/wao_white_book.pdf (Accessed in February 2016).
- 3 Bousquet J., Khaltaev N. Global surveillance, prevention and control of chronic respiratory diseases. A comprehensive approach. Global alliance against chronic respiratory diseases. 2007. World Health Organization; 978 92 4 156346 8.
- 4 Asher M.I., Montefort S., Björkstén B. et al. Worldwide time trends in the prevalence of symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, and eczema in childhood: ISAAC phases one and three repeat multicountry cross-sectional surveys. Lancet 368 2006; 733-743.
- 5 Anandan C., Nurmatov U., van Schayck O.C., Sheikh A. Is the prevalence of asthma declining? Systematic review of epidemiological studies. Allergy 65 2010; 152.
- 6 Bloom B., Cohen R.A., Freeman G. Summary health statistics for U.S. children: National Health Interview Survey, 2009. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 2010; 10: 247.
- 7 Knudsen T.B., Thomsen S.F., Nolte H., Baker V. A population-based clinical study of allergic and non-allergic asthma. J Asthma 46 2009; 91-94.
- 8 Stensen L., Thomsen S.F., Backer V. Change in prevalence of atopic dermatitis between 1986 and 2001 among children. Allergy Asthma Proc 29 2008; 392-396.
- 9 Peroni D.G., Piacentini G.L., Bodini A., Rigotti E., Pigozzi R., Boner A.L. Prevalence and risk factors for atopic dermatitis in preschool children. Br J Dermatol 158 2008; 539-543.
- 10 Williams H.C. Clinical practice. Atopic dermatitis. N Engl J Med 352 2005; 2314-2324.
- 11 Silverberg J.I. Healthcare utilization, patient costs, and access to care in US adults with eczema: a population-based study. JAMA Dermatol 151 (07) 2015; 743-752.
- 12 Hughes R., Ward D., Tobin A.M., Keegan K., Kirby B. The use of alternative medicine in pediatric patients with atopic dermatitis. Pediatr Dermatol 24 (02) 2007; 118-120.
- 13 Jensen P. Use of alternative medicine by patients with atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. Acta Derm Venereol 70 (05) 1990; 421-424.
- 14 Slader C.A., Reddel H.K., Jenkins C.R., Armour C.L., Bosnic-Anticevich S.Z. Complementary and alternative medicine use in asthma: who is using what?. Respirology 11 (04) 2006; 373-387.
- 15 Simpson N., Roman K. Complementary medicine use in children: extent and reasons. A population-based study. Br J Gen Pract 51 (472) 2001; 914-916.
- 16 Da Frè M., Voller F. Regional survey on complementary medicine, bio-natural and wellness practices (2010). Unit of Epidemiology, Regional health agency of Tuscany. Collana dei Documenti ARS 56. 2011. Available at: https://www.ars.toscana.it/files/pubblicazioni/Volumi/2011/56_medicine_complementari.pdf (Accessed in February 2016).
- 17 Rossi E., Bartoli P., Bianchi A., Da Fré M. Homeopathy in paediatric atopic diseases: long-term results in children with atopic dermatitis. Homeopathy 101 2012; 13-20.
- 18 Tuscany region (2014) regional law of Tuscany no. 9/2007. Available at: http://raccoltanormativa.consiglio.regione.toscana.it/articolo?urndoc=urn:nir:regione.toscana:legge:2007-02-19;9&pr=idx,0;artic,0,1;articparziale,0 (Accessed in February 2016).
- 19 Practice of complementary medicine by medical doctors and dentists, veterinaries and pharmacists. Memorandum of intent of R. L. n. 9/2007. Available at: http://www.regione.toscana.it/documents/10180/70874/Delibera%2049_08/98fe234d-6212-4013-99d0-4d1d6e51e7bd (Accessed in February 2016).
- 20 De Schepper L. LM potencies: one of the hidden treasures of the sixth edition of the organon. Br Homeopath J 88 1999; 128-134.
- 21 Rezzani CM. WinChip: computerized homeopathic investigation program: a data collection tool to help the doctor in daily practice and a real instrument to prove and improve homeopathy. Proceedings of the International Conference “Improving the success of homeopathy 2. Developing and demonstrating effectiveness” London, 15–16 April 1999, pp 32.
- 22 Reilly D., Taylor M. The evidence profile. Developing integrated medicine. Complement Ther Med 1 (01) 1993; 1-50.
- 23 Reilly D., Stewart W., Mercer S.W., Bikker A.P., Harrison T. Outcome related to impact on daily living: preliminary validation of the ORIDL instrument. BMC Health Serv Res 7 2007; 139.
- 24 Williams H.C., Burney P.G.J., Pembroke A.C., Hay R.J. The U.K. working party’s diagnostic criteria for atopic dermatitis. III. Independent hospital validation. Br J Dermatol 131 1994; 406-416.
- 25 Lewis-Jones S., Mugglestone M.A. Management of atopic eczema in children aged up to 12 years: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ 335 2007; 1263-1264.
- 26 Jenkinson SG, Peters JI. Pearls from the National Institutes of Health. Asthma guidelines, PCCU lesson 19, Vol 13, pp 2.
- 27 Ullman D., Frass M. A review of homeopathic research in the treatment of respiratory allergies. Altern Med Rev 15 (01) 2010; 48-58.
- 28 White A., Slade P., Hunt C., Hart A., Ernst E. Individualised homeopathy as an adjunct in the treatment of childhood asthma. Thorax 58 (04) 2003; 317-321.
- 29 Wiesenauer M., Lüdtke R. A meta-analysis of the homeopathic treatment of pollinosis with Galphimia glauca . Forsch Komplementärmed 3 1996; 230-236.
- 30 Correale C.E., Walker C., Murphy L., Craig T.J. Atopic dermatitis: a review of diagnosis and treatment. Am Fam Physician 60 (04) 1999; 1191-1198 1209–10.
- 31 Sporik R., Holgate S.T., Cogswell J.J. Natural history of asthma in childhood – a birth cohort study. Arch Dis Child 66 1991; 1050-1053.
- 32 van der Hulst A.E., Klip H., Brand P.L. Risk of developing asthma in young children with atopic eczema: a systematic review. J Allergy Clin Immunol 120 2007; 565-569.
- 33 Rhodes H.L., Sporik R., Thomas P., Holgate S.T., Cogswell J.J. Early life risk factors for adult asthma: a birth cohort study of subjects at risk. J Allergy Clin Immunol 108 2001; 720-725.
- 34 Gustafsson D., Sjoberg O., Foucard T. Development of allergies and asthma in infants and young children with atopic dermatitis: a prospective follow-up to 7 years of age. Allergy 55 2000; 240-245.
- 35 Lau S., Nickel R., Niggemann B. et al. The development of childhood asthma: lessons from the German Multicentre Allergy Study (MAS). Paediatr Respir Rev 3 2002; 265-272.
- 36 Novembre E., Cianferoni A., Lombardi E., Bernardini R., Pucci N., Vierucci A. Natural history of “intrinsic” atopic dermatitis. Allergy 56 2001; 452-453.
- 37 Kapoor R., Menon C., Hoffstad O. et al. The prevalence of atopic triad in children with physician-confirmed atopic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol 58 2008; 68-73.
- 38 Rossi E., Bartoli P., Panozzo M., Bianchi A., Da Frè M. Outcome of homeopathic treatment in paediatric patients: an observational study from 1998 to 2008. EUJIM 2 2010; 115-122.
- 39 Thomsen S.F. Epidemiology and natural history of atopic diseases. Eur Clin Respir J 2 2015; 24642.