Subscribe to RSS
Bone computed tomography mineral content evaluation in chickens: effects of substances in homeopathic concentration
Received22 January 2015
revised26 March 2015
accepted11 July 2015
28 December 2017 (online)
Methods: Ninety-six cobb race chickens were equally divided in 4 groups and randomly assigned to receive a standard treatment feed + homeopathic concentrations of Symphytum (S.) officinalis (9CH), or standard treatment feed + homeopathic concentrations of Tricalcarea (4CH), or standard treatment feed + homeopathic concentrations of Calcarea (C.) carbonica (30CH) or a placebo (the same feed but without any homeopathic compound) in order to assess the ability of the homeopathic compounds to increase the concentration of calcium hydroxyapatite in the sternal spongy bone tissue. We measured the concentration of calcium hydroxyapatite in the sternal spongy bone tissue of all chickens by means of a computed tomography (CT).
Results: 30%, 36% and 63% increase of sternum spongy-bone mineralization was observed after a 2 years period in the treatment groups with S. officinalis (9CH), Tricalcarea (4CH) (*P < 0.05) and C. carbonica (30CH) (***P < 0.001) respectively.
Conclusion: Bone mineralization is usually low in battery chickens reared in commercial poultry-sheds, creating a weakness of the whole animal supporting apparatus. Homeopathic preparations with bone-tissue tropism may improve their health quality.
- 1 Rath N.C., Huff G.R., Huff W.E., Balog J.M. Factors regulating bone maturity and strength in poultry. Poult Sci 2000; 79 (07) 1024-1032.
- 2 Julian R.J. Rapid growth problems: ascites and skeletal deformities in broilers. Poult Sci 1998; 77 (12) 1773-1780.
- 3 Knowles T.G., Wilkins L.J. The problem of broken bones during the handling of laying hens – a review. Poult Sci 1998; 77 (12) 1798-1802.
- 4 Gregory N.G., Wilkins L.J. Skeletal damage and bone defects during catching and processing. In: Whitehead C.C. (ed). Bone Biology and Skeletal Disorders in Poultry. Co. CP; Oxford, UK: 1992.
- 5 Aziz-Abdul T.A. Cage layer fatigue is a complicated problem. World's Poult Sci J 1998; 14: 56-58.
- 6 Williams B., Waddington D., Murray D.H., Farquharson C. Bone strength during growth: influence of growth rate on cortical porosity and mineralization. Calcif Tissue Int 2004; 74 (03) 236-245.
- 7 Mazzuco H., Hester P.Y. The effect of an induced molt and a second cycle of lay on skeletal integrity of White Leghorns. Poult Sci 2005; 84 (05) 771-781.
- 8 Frost R., MacPherson H., O'Meara S. A critical scoping review of external uses of comfrey (Symphytum spp.). Complement Ther Med 2013; 21 (06) 724-745.
- 9 Tyler M.L., Santos E. (ed). Homoeopathic Drug Pictures. 2nd edn 1992. Sao Paulo.
- 10 Sakakura C.E., Neto R.S., Bellucci M., Wenzel A., Scaf G., Marcantonio Jr. E. Influence of homeopathic treatment with comfrey on bone density around titanium implants: a digital subtraction radiography study in rats. Clin Oral Implants Res 2008; 19 (06) 624-628.
- 11 Bach N., Thung S.N., Schaffner F. Comfrey herb tea-induced hepatic veno-occlusive disease. Am J Med 1989; 87 (01) 97-99.
- 12 Punzo A. Homeopathic medicine: an overview with specific applications for the orthopaedic patient. Tech Orthop 2003; 18: 55-61.
- 13 Rode D. Comfrey toxicity revised. Trends Pharmacol Sci 2002; 23: 497-499.
- 14 Peychcev L. Epiphysitis of children and homeopathy. Pharmacia 2012; 59 1–4 44-48.
- 15 Anshutz E.P. New, old and forgotten remedies. B. Jain Publishers; New Delhi, India: 1989.
- 16 Blackie M. Classical homoeopathy. Beaconsfield Publishers LTD; Beaconsfield, Bucks, England: 1986.
- 17 Clarke J.H. Dictionnary of practical Materia Medica Saffron Walden, Essex. Health Science Press: England; 1987: 1340-1343.
- 18 Tyler M.L. Calcarea phosphorica. Retratos de medicamentos homeopáticos. Santos: São Paulo; 1992: 181-187.
- 19 Voisin H. Manual de matéria médica para o clínico homeopata. 2nd edn Andrei: São Paulo; 1987.
- 20 Senra G.S., Werkman C., Rocha R.F., Brandão A.A.H. Estudo radiográfico do reparo ósseo em ratos SHR com osteoporose utilizando homeopatia e risedronato. Programas e Resumos da 5ª Mostra de pós-graduação da Universidade de Taubaté. Universidade de Taubaté: Taubaté; 2004: 306.
- 21 Kilkenny C., Browne W.J., Cuthill I.C., Emerson M., Altman D.G. Improving bioscience research reporting: the ARRIVE guidelines for reporting animal research. J Pharmacol Pharmacother 2010; 1 (02) 94-99.