A randomized placebo-controlled pilot study of Cat saliva 9cH and Histaminum 9cH in cat allergic adults
Received19 October 2011
revised29 January 2013
accepted18 February 2013
20 December 2017 (online)
Background: Cat allergy is an abnormal immune response by the body to cat dander or saliva, leading to the development of a complex of symptoms which can negatively influence health. Cat saliva 9cH and Histaminum 9cH are indicated, according to isopathic principles, for the treatment of cat allergy, however no research has been done to date.
Aim: To determine the effect of Cat saliva 9cH and Histaminum 9cH (combined) on cat allergic adults.
Method: 30 Participants with a positive test result for a cat allergy skin prick test (SPT) were recruited to a double-blind, randomised, placebo controlled clinical trial. Participants took two tablets twice daily for 4 weeks, and attended a follow-up consultation at the end of weeks 2 and 4. The measurement tool used was the SPT, conducted at the beginning and at the end of the study.
Results: Cat saliva 9cH and Histaminum 9cH produced a highly statistically significant reduction in the wheal diameter of the cat allergen SPT at the end of week 4. The placebo group showed no statistically significant change.
Conclusion: The homeopathic medicine reduced the sensitivity reaction of cat allergic adults to cat allergen, according to the SPT. Future studies are warranted to further investigate the effect of Cat saliva and Histaminum and their role as a potential therapeutic option for this condition.
- 1 Bateman B.J., Dean T.P. The Cheshire Cat's Grin- is cat allergy here to stay?. J Clin Exp Allergy 1999; 29: 725-728.
- 2 Gulbahar O., Sin A., Mete N. et al. Sensitization to cat allergens in non-cat owner patients with respiratory allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003; 90 (06) 635-639.
- 3 Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Pet Allergy, 2005. Available from: http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=18&cont=236 Accessed 18.10.2011.
- 4 Grönlund H., Saarne T., Gafvelin G., Van Hage M. The Major Cat Allergen, Fel d 1, in Diagnosis and Therapy. Int Arch Allergy Imm 2009; 151 (04) 265-274.
- 5 Kelly L.A., Erwin E.A., Platts-Mills T.A. The indoor air and asthma: the role of cat allergens. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2012; 18 (01) 29-34.
- 6 Min Y. The Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res 2010; 2 (02) 65-76.
- 7 Douglas J.A., Robyn E.D. Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention of Allergic Disease: the basics. MJA Practice Essentials-Allergy 2006; 185 (04) 228-232.
- 8 Haslett C., Chilvers E.R., Boon N.A., Colledge N.R. Davidson's Principals and Practice of Medicine. 19th edn. Oxford: Elsevier, Churchill Livingstone; 2002. pp. 1055–1056.
- 9 Stöppler M.G. Skin Test for Allergy. Available from: http://www.medicinenet.com/skin_test_for_allergy/article.htm 2002 Accessed 08.02.2010.
- 10 Beers M.H., Fletcher A.J., Jones T.V. et al. The Merck Manual of Medical Information. 2nd edn. New York: Pocket Books; 2004. pp. 962–1048.
- 11 Frew A.J. Sublingual Immunotherapy. New Engl J Med 2008; 358 (21) 2259-2263.
- 12 Abbas A.K., Lichtman A.H., Pober J.S. Cellular and Molecular Immunology. 2nd edn. USA: W.B Saunders and Company; 1994. pp. 279–289.
- 13 Robertson B.D., McCoy R.L., Nelson M.R., Haymore B.R. Effect of allergen immunotherapy practice parameters on cat extract prescribing patterns, 1993–2009. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2011; 107 (05) 437-440.
- 14 Oppenheimer J., Areson J.G., Nelson H.S. Safety and efficacy of oral immunotherapy with standardized cat extract. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1994; 93 (1 Pt 1): 61-67.
- 15 Nelson H.S., Oppenheimer J., Vatsia G.A., Buchmeier A. A double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of sublingual immunotherapy with standardized cat extract. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1993; 92 (02) 229-236.
- 16 Varney V.A., Edwards J., Tabbah K., Brewster H., Mavroleon G., Frew A.J. Clinical efficacy of specific immunotherapy to cat dander: a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Clin Exp Allergy 1997; 27 (08) 860-867.
- 17 Dreyer M.S. Pharmacology for Nurses and other Health Workers. 5th edn. Cape Town: Kagiso Publishers; 1996. pp. 115–118.
- 18 Alvarez-Cuesta E., Berges-Gimeno P., González-Mancebo E., Fernández-Caldas E., Cuesta-Herranz J., Casanovas M. Sublingual immunotherapy with a standardized cat dander extract: evaluation of efficacy in a double blind placebo controlled study. Allergy 2007; 62 (07) 810-817.
- 19 Ullman D., Frass M. A review of homeopathic research in the treatment of respiratory allergies. Alt Med Rev 2010; 15 (01) 48-58.
- 20 Reilly D., Mcsharry C., Taylor M.A., Aitchison T. Is Homoeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of Homoeopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as model. The Lancet 1986; 328 (8512): 881-886.
- 21 Reilly D., Taylor M.A., Beattie N.G.M. et al. Is evidence for homoeopathy reproducible?. Lancet 1994; 344: 1601-1606.
- 22 Taylor M.A., Reilly D., Llewellyn-Jones R.H., McSharry C., Aitchison T.C. Randomised controlled trial of homoeopathy versus placebo in perennial allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial series. BMJ 2000; 321: 471-476.
- 23 Lewith G.T., Watkins A.D., Hyland M.E. et al. Use of ultramolecular potencies of allergen to treat asthmatic people allergic to house dust mite: double blind randomised controlled clinical trial. BMJ 2002; 324: 1-5.
- 24 Kim L.S., Riedlinger J.E., Baldwin C.M. et al. Treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis using homeopathic preparation of common allergens in the southwest region of the US: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. Ann Pharmacother 2005; 39: 617-624.
- 25 Flitchev S., Dimov V. Comparison of Specific Sublingual Immunotherapy to Homeopathic Therapy in children with Allergic Rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immun 2010; 125 (02) AB34.
- 26 Jones K.M. Histaminum 30c. Available from: http://www.elixirs.com/product.cfm?productcode=S131A 1997 Accessed 28.01.2010.
- 27 Sainte-Laudy J., Belon P. Inhibition of basophil activation by histamine: a sensitive and reproducible model for the study of the biological activity of high dilutions. Homeopathy 2009; 98: 186-197.
- 28 Chirumbolo S., Brizzi M., Ortolani R., Vella A., Bellavite P. Inhibition of CD203c membrane up-regulation in human basophils by high dilutions of histamine: a controlled replication study. Inflamm Res 2009; 58: 755-764.
- 29 Bellavite P., Conforti A., Piasere V., Ortolani R. Isotherapy and Nosodes. Evid Base Compl Alt Med 2005 (02): 441-452.
- 30 Allergy Skin Prick Tests. Stallergenes Pocket Guide: Specific Immunotherapy. France: Stallergenes; 2009. pp. 26–30, 48.
- 31 Allergy Skin Test, Ampath Laboratory Support Services, Standard Operating Procedures SP-NSG-039, 6th edn. pp. 1–5.