Subscribe to RSS
The effect of individualized homeopathic treatment on the semen quality of bulls with reproductive disorders: a case series
Received08 June 2011
revised08 March 2012
accepted01 August 2012
29 December 2017 (online)
Background: Poor semen quality of pedigree bulls has major economic implications in cattle breeding.
Aims: To evaluate the effect of homeopathy on the semen of bulls with reproductive disorders.
Methods: The behavioral, clinical and spermatic characteristics of four Nelore bulls were evaluated. The bulls received individualized homeopathic treatment mixed into the feed and administered once per day. Semen was collected using an artificial vagina. Successful collection, freezing, effective doses, and the number of doses of semen per collection were compared before and after homeopathic treatment.
Results: The bulls were treated with Sulphur, Phosphorus, Lycopodium and Argentum nitricum all in 30CH dilution. The rates of successful collection were 97.14%, 100%, 96.67% and 30.77% pretreatment and 95.45%, 100%, 94.67% and 96.77% at post-treatment for bulls A, B, C and D, respectively. The average number of doses per ejaculate pre and post-treatment were 102.67 (SD 74.41) vs. 300.08 (SD 180.58), 0 vs. 234.78 (SD 96.12), 0 vs. 105.12 (SD 54.98), 0 ± vs. 107.37 (SD 52.12) respectively. Many of these differences were statistically significant.
Conclusion: The use of homeopathy apparently improved the production of viable doses of semen from bulls with previous freezing problems and poor semen quality. Controlled studies should be conducted.
- 1 Kent J.T. Filosofia Homeopática. Curitiba: Editorial Nova Época; 1993.
- 2 BRASIL. Ministério da Saúde. Farmacopéia homeopática brasileira. 3a Ed.. São Paulo: Atheneu Editora; 2011. 364 p.
- 3 Lobreiro J. Homeopathic treatment for infertility in a prize Nelore bull. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 49-51.
- 4 Eizayaga F.X. Tratado de Medicina Homeopatica. 6th ed. Buenos Aires: Ediciones Marecel; 1992.
- 5 Colégio Brasileiro de Reprodução Animal – CBRA. Manual para exame andrológico e avaliação de sêmen animal. Vol. II. 1998.
- 6 SAS. SAS/STAT1 user's guide (Release 8.2). Cary, NC: SAS Inst. Inc.; 2001.
- 7 Gerhard I., Wallis E. Individualized homeopathic therapy for male infertility. Homeopathy 2002; 91: 133-144.