Homeopathy in chronic sinusitis: a prospective multi-centric observational study
Received03 May 2011
revised14 December 2011
accepted06 February 2012
29 December 2017 (online)
Objective: The primary objective was to ascertain the therapeutic usefulness of homeopathic medicine in the management of chronic sinusitis (CS).
Materials and methods: Multicentre observational study at Institutes and Units of the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy, India. Symptoms were assessed using the chronic sinusitis assessment score (CSAS). 17 pre-defined homeopathic medicines were shortlisted for prescription on the basis of repertorisation for the pathological symptoms of CS. Regimes and adjustment of regimes in the event of a change of symptoms were pre-defined. The follow-up period was for 6 months. Statistical analysis was done using SPSS version 16.
Results: 628 patients suffering from CS confirmed on X-ray were enrolled from eight Institutes and Units of the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy. All 550 patients with at least one follow-up assessment were analyzed. There was a statistically significant reduction in CSAS (P = 0.0001, Friedman test) after 3 and 6 months of treatment. Radiological appearances also improved. A total of 13 out of 17 pre-defined medicines were prescribed in 550 patients, Sil. (55.2% of 210), Calc. (62.5% of 98), Lyc. (69% of 55), Phos. (66.7% of 45) and Kali iod. (65% of 40) were found to be most useful having marked improvement. 4/17 medicines were never prescribed. No complications were observed during treatment.
Conclusion: Homeopathic treatment may be effective for CS patients. Controlled trials are required for further validation.
- 1 Benninger M., Ferguson B., Hadley J. et al. Adult chronic rhinosinusitis: definitions, diagnosis, epidemiology, and pathophysiology. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003; 129 (03) S1-S32.
- 2 Fokkens W., Lund V., Mullol J. on behalf of the EP3OS group. European Position Paper on Rhinosinusitis and Nasal Polyps 2007. Rhinology 2007: 1-139.
- 3 McCaig L.F., Hughs J.M. Trends in antimicrobial drug prescribing among office based physicians in the United States. JAMA 1995; 273: 214-219.
- 4 Piromchai P., Thanaviratananich S., Laopaiboon M. Antibiotics for chronic rhinosinusitis in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010 (1) 10.1002/14651858.CD008233 Art. No.: CD008233.
- 5 File T.M., Hadley J.A. Rational use of antibiotics to treat respiratory tract infections. Am J Manag Care 2002; 8: 713-727.
- 6 Harvey R., Hannan S.A., Badia L., Scadding G. Nasal saline irrigations for the symptoms of chronic rhinosinusitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007 (3) 10.1002/14651858.CD006394 Art. No.: CD006394.
- 7 Wassenhoven Van M., Ives G. An observational study of patients receiving homeopathic treatment. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 3-11.
- 8 Rossi E., Endrizzi C., Panozzo M.A., Bianchi A., Da Frè M. Homeopathy in the public health system: a seven-year observational study at Lucca Hospital (Italy). Homeopathy 2009 Jul; 98 (03) 142-148.
- 9 Spence D.S., Thompson E.A., Barron S.J. Homeopathic treatment for chronic disease: a 6-year, university-hospital outpatient observational study. J Altern Complement Med 2005; 11 (05) 793-798.
- 10 Witt C., Keil T., Selim D. et al. Outcome and costs of homeopathic and conventional treatment strategies: a comparative cohort study in patients with chronic disorders. Complement Ther Med 2005; 13: 79-86.
- 11 Haidvogl M., Riley D.S., Heger M. et al. Homeopathic and conventional treatment for acute respiratory and ear complaints: a comparative study on outcome in the primary care setting. BMC Complement Altern Med 2007; 7: 7 10.1186/1472-6882-7-7.
- 12 Wiesenauer M., Gaus W., Bohnacker U., Häussler S. Efficiency of homeopathic preparation combinations in sinusitis. Results of a randomized double blind study with general practitioners. Arzneimittelforschung 1989; 39 (05) 620-625.
- 13 Weiser M., Clausen B.P.E. Controlled double-blind study of a homeopathic sinusitis medication. Biol Ther 1995; 13 (01) 4-11.
- 14 Zabolotnyi D.I., Kneis K.C., Richardson A. et al. Efficacy of a complex homeopathic medication (Sinfrontal) in patients with acute maxillary sinusitis: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter clinical trial. Explore (NY) 2007; 3 (02) 98-109.
- 15 Friese K.H., Zabalotnyi D.I. Homeopathy in acute rhinosinusitis: a double-blind, placebo controlled study shows the efficiency and tolerability of a homeopathic combination remedy. HNO 2007 Apr; 55 (04) 271-277.
- 16 Suter A., Bommer S. Acute and chronic sinusitis: treatment with a homeopathic sinus spray. Results of a clinical study on the efficacy and tolerability of the homeopathic “sinuforce spray”. Schweiz Zschr GanzheitsMedizin 2003; 15 (05) 233-238.
- 17 Ammerschlager H., Klein P., Weiser M., Oberbaum M. Treatment of inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract – comparison of a homeopathic complex remedy with xylometazoline. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 2005; 12 (01) 24-31.
- 18 Adler M. Efficacy and safety of a fixed-combination homeopathic therapy for sinusitis. Adv Ther 1999; 16 (02) 103-111.
- 19 Rainer G., Michael W. Antihomotoxic treatment of chronic sinusitis. Results of a drug monitoring study with Euphorbium compositum S Drops. Med Biol 2000; 13 (03) 84-87.
- 20 Hahnemann S. Organon of Medicine, 6th edn, New Delhi: B Jain Publishers, 1997.
- 21 Singh P., Yadav R.J., Pandey A. Utilization of indigenous systems of medicine & homeopathy in India. Indian J Med Res 2005; 122 (02) 137-142.
- 22 Peters D., Taylor Reilly D., Feruguson A., McIntyre M. How I would treat chronic sinusitis. Complement Ther Med 1993; 1: 81-87.
- 23 Sharma S.R., Bhanu Murty K., Sahagal G.C. et al. Clinical evaluation of homeopathic medicines in sinusitis. IJRH 2008; 2 (01) 26-37.
- 24 Witt C.M., Ludtke R., Willich S.N. Homeopathic treatment of patients with chronic sinusitis: A prospective observational study with 8 years follow up. BMC Ear Nose Throat Disord 2009; 9: 7.
- 25 Lindqvist E., Saxne T., Geborek P., Eberhardt K. Ten years outcome in a cohort of patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: health status, disease process, and damage. Ann Rheum Dis 2002; 61: 1055-1059.
- 26 World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki – ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. Available from URL: http://www.who.int/bulletin/archives/79(4)373.pdf accessed on 8.8.05.
- 27 Wright D. Chronic sinusitis. In: Ballantyne John, Groves John. The Nose and Sinuses. 4th edn. Scott – Brown’s Diseases of the Ear, Nose and throat. Vol 3 1979. London: Butterworths; 273-281.
- 28 Witko D. CARA Professional© 1997. London: Miccant Ltd; 1999. Revised programme by John Stevenson.
- 29 Kent J.T. Lectures on homeopathic philosophy. Reprint 4th edn. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 1997. pp. 253–273.
- 30 Field A. Discovering statistics using SPSS. 3rd edn. London: Sage Publications Limited; 2009.
- 31 Gliklich R.E., Metson R. Techniques for outcome research in chronic sinusitis. Laryngoscope 1995; 105: 387-390.
- 32 Collins J.G. Prevalence of selected chronic conditions: United States, 1990–1992. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 1997; 10: (194).
- 33 Kuehnemund M, Ismail C, Brieger j, Schaefer D, Mann WJ. Untreated chronic rhinosinusitis: a comparison of symptoms and mediator profiles.