Homeopathic aggravation with Quinquagintamillesimal potencies
Received05 July 2010
revised21 September 2011
accepted09 December 2011
04 January 2018 (online)
Introduction: Homeopathic aggravation is the exacerbation of some symptoms or the whole pathological situation, followed by improvement of the patient’s conditions.
Aim: To evaluate the typology, intensity and frequency of homeopathic aggravation, especially with Quinquagintamillesimal (Q, LM) potencies and its prognostic value.
Methods: The homeopathic prescription strategy evaluated consists in the administration of a single homeopathic medicine in Q dilutions, starting with 6Q, then a progressive scale of Q potencies. Patients whose symptoms could be attributed to a wrong and inappropriate prescription, according to the criteria previously described, were excluded.
Results: Data was collected on 1108 patients consecutively visited from 3rd October 2002 to 31st December 2007, and 441 cases followed for at least 2 months (40% of total cases). 63 of these cases (14%) reported homeopathic aggravation: 7% reported ‘slight’, 5% ‘medium’, 2% ‘intense’ and 0.4% ‘very intense’ aggravation. Homeopathic aggravation was present in 21% of paediatric patients (≤14 years). About 50% of the cases manifested homeopathic aggravation 1 or 2 days after the prescription and for 67% of patients the symptoms lasted 1 week or less. Patients with aggravation of the original disease had significantly greater improvement than those patients showing the aggravation of other, new or different, symptoms or conditions, or no aggravation.
Conclusions: These data show that homeopathic aggravation with Q potencies is quite frequent in homeopathic clinical practice and seems to be associated with better treatment outcome.
- 1 Hahnemann S.F. Organon of medicine. 6th edn. New Delhi, India: B. Jain Publishers; 1982.
- 2 Kent J.T. Lectures on homeopathic philosophy. New Delhi, India: B. Jain Publishers; 1981.
- 3 Pappone P. L’aggravamento omeopatico. Proposta Omeopatica, Napoli 1990
- 4 Endrizzi C., Rossi E., Crudeli L., Garibaldi D. Harms in homeopathy: aggravations, adverse drug events or medication errors?. Homeopathy 2005; 94: 233-240.
- 5 Kunzli von Fimmelsberg J. DHM; Zwei Heilungen Hanhemanns mit Quinquagintamillesimal, potenzen. Vol 7. 1956. pp. 451–461.
- 6 Flury R. Hahnemanns Fǘnfzigtausernder – (LM)- Potenzen nach der VI. Ausgabe des Organon. Allegemeine Homeöpathische Zeitung 1981; 226: 224–229.
- 7 Hahnemann S. Organon der Heilkust Leipzig. Willmar Schwabe; 1921.
- 8 Jütte R. Le potenze cinquantamillesimali nell’omeopatia: dagli inizi fino a oggi. Gütersloh, Germany: Arcana Arzeneimittelherstellung Dr. Sewerin; 2010.
- 9 Adler Ubiratan C. Nachweis von 681 Q-Potenzen in den französischen Krankenjournalen Samuel Hahnemann. Med Ges Gesh 1995; 13: 135-166.
- 10 Handley R. A homeopathic love story. USA: North Atlantic Books, Berkley, California; 1992.
- 11 Handley R. In search of later Hahnemann. UK: Beaconsfield Publishers, Beaconsfield; 1997.
- 12 Dorcsi M. Erfahungen mit LM-Potenzen. Zeitschrift Klassische Homöopathie 1961; 5: 146-157.
- 13 Imberecths J. Concerning para. 246–248 of the Organon of Hahnemann: differences in the posology in 30 years of practice. In: 51st LMHI International Congress Proceedings. Capri (Italy), 2nd–6th October 1996, (Personal communication).
- 14 Regional Law of Tuscany no. 31/2007 of 25/05/2007. The regional law regulating the Complementary Medicine practice complementary medicine. http://raccoltanormativart.mediamind.it/toscana/index.php?vi=all&urn=urn:nir:regione.toscana:legge:2007-0219;9&urn_tl=dl&urn_t=text/xml&urn_a=y&urn_d=v&urn_dv=n (accessed in June 2010).
- 15 Tuscany Region Government Act n. 928-11.12.2006 on Tuscan Regional Integrative Agreement for Specialist Doctors. “A.C.N. Medici specialisti ambulatoriali interni ed altre professionalità ambulatoriali. Recepimento del documento Requisiti per il rilascio dell`attestazione ai medici che praticano le MnC: agopuntura, fitoterapia, medicina manuale, omeopatia”. http://web.rete.toscana.it/attinew/http://ordine.hsi.it/DECRETO20FEBBRAIO2007N.762.pdf and Act n. 762 of 20 February 2007(accessed in June 2010).
- 16 Richardson W.R. Patient benefit survey: Liverpool Regional Department of Homoeopathic Medicine. Br Homeopath J 2001; 90 (03) 158-162.
- 17 Rezzani CM. WinChip: computerized homeopathic investigation program: a data collection tool to help the doctor in daily practice and a real instrument to prove and improve homeopathy. In: Proceedings of the International Conference “Improving the success of homeopathy 2: developing and demonstrating effectiveness”. London, 15–16 April 1999, p. 32.
- 18 De Schepper L. LM potencies: one of the hidden treasures of the sixth edition of the Organon. Br Homeopath J 1999; 88: 128-134.
- 19 Wiegant F., Van Wijk R. The similia principle: results obtained in a cellular model system. Homeopathy 2010; 99: 3-14.
- 20 Pomposelli R., Codecà G., Bergonzi R. et al. Terapia omeopatica in pazienti con patologia artroreumatica. Med Nat 2003; 13: 44-50.
- 21 Anelli M., Scheepers L., Sermeus G., Van Wassenhoven M. Homeopathy and health related Quality of Life: a survey in six European countries. Homeopathy 2002 Jan; 91 (01) 18-21.
- 22 Reilly D.T., Taylor M.A., McSharry C., Aitchison T. Is homoeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homoeopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as model. Lancet 1986 Oct 18; 2 (8512): 881-886.
- 23 Reilly D., Taylor M.A., Beattie N.G.M. et al. Is evidence for homeopathy reproducible?. Lancet 1994; 344: 1601-1606.
- 24 Straumsheim P., Borchgrevink C., Mowinckel P., Kierulf H., Hafslund Ø. Homeopathic treatment of migraine: a double blind placebo controlled trial of 68 patients. Br Homeopath J 1997; 89: 4-7.
- 25 Taylor M.A., Reilly D., Llewellyn-Jones R.H., McSharry C., Aitchison T.C. Randomized controlled trial of homeopathy versus placebo in perennial allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial series. BMJ 2000; 321: 471-476.
- 26 Grabia S., Ernst E. Homeopathic aggravations: a systematic review of randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. Homeopathy 2003 Apr; 92 (02) 92-98.
- 27 Kent J.T. Lectures on homeopathic Materia Medica. Calcutta, India: Sett & Co; 1975.
- 28 Waisse-Priven S., Jurj G., Lima Thomaz L.C. et al. Individualized homeopathic treatment of dermatological complaints in a public outpatient clinic. Homeopathy 2009 Jul; 98 (03) 149-153.
- 29 Hahnemann S.F. The chronic diseases. New Delhi, India: Jain Publishers; 1976.