Homeopathy in paediatric atopic diseases: long-term results in children with atopic dermatitis
Received26 October 2010
revised29 June 2011
accepted07 September 2011
29 December 2017 (online)
Aim: To study the socio-demographic features, the prescribed remedies and the outcome of atopic diseases in children treated with homeopathy at the Homeopathic Clinic of Lucca (Italy), and the long-term outcome of children suffering from atopic dermatitis (AD) after an approximate 8-year period (range 5–10years).
Methods: Our data derive from an observational longitudinal study carried out on 213 children (38.6%) with atopic diseases out of 551 children consecutively examined from September 1998 to December 2008. We used the Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital Outcome Score to evaluate the results that were classified on the basis of a Likert scale.
Results: Eighty-three (39%) children were affected by asthma, 51 (24%) by allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, 76 (36%) by AD and 3 (1%) by food intolerance. Follow-up patients were 104 (48.8%), and 65 (62.5%) of them reported a major improvement or resolution. The parents of paediatric patients suffering from AD, who had started homeopathic treatment at < 4.9years of age were invited to follow-up assessment 8years later and 40 children (mean age 12.9) were examined; 28/40 (70%) had a complete disappearance of AD, 12/40 children (30.0%) were still affected by AD; 8/40 (20%) had asthma and 8/40 patients had, or developed, allergic rhinitis.
Conclusion: These preliminary results seem to confirm a positive therapeutic effect of homeopathy in atopic children. Furthermore, according to the data from the literature paediatric patients treated with homeopathy seem to show a reduced tendency to maintain AD and develop asthma (and allergic rhinitis) in adult age.
- 1 Vocabolario Treccani della lingua italiana. Available from: http://www.treccani.it/Portale/elements/categoriesItems.jsp?pathFile=/sites/default/BancaDati/Vocabolario_online/A/VIT_III_A_009843.xml [accessed July 2010].
- 2 Spergel J.M., Paller A.S. Atopic dermatitis and the atopic march. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 112: 118-127.
- 3 Leung D.Y., Bieber T. Atopic dermatitis. Lancet 2003; 361 (9352): 151-160.
- 4 Holgate S.T. The epidemic of allergy and asthma. Nature 1999; 402: B2-B4.
- 5 Schultz-Larsen F., Hanifin J.M. Epidemiology of atopic dermatitis. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am 2002; 22: 1-24.
- 6 Stensen L., Thomsen S.F., Backer V. Change in prevalence of atopic dermatitis between 1986 and 2001 among children. Allergy Asthma Proc 2008; 29: 392-396.
- 7 Peroni D.G., Piacentini G.L., Bodini A., Rigotti E., Pigozzi R., Boner A.L. Prevalence and risk factors for atopic dermatitis in preschool children. Br J Dermatol 2008; 158: 539-543.
- 8 Correale C.E., Walker C., Murphy L., Craig T.J. Atopic dermatitis: a review of diagnosis and treatment. Am Fam Physician 1999; 60 (04) 1191-1198 1209–10.
- 9 Sporik R., Holgate S.T., Cogswell J.J. Natural history of asthma in childhood – a birth cohort study. Arch Dis Child 1991; 66: 1050-1053.
- 10 Hughes R., Ward D., Tobin A.M., Keegan K., Kirby B. The use of alternative medicine in pediatric patients with atopic dermatitis. Pediatr Dermatol 2007; 24 (02) 118-120.
- 11 Da Frè M., Voller F. Regional survey on Complementary Medicine, Bio-natural and Wellness Practices. Unit of Epidemiology, Regional Health Agency of Tuscany; 2010. http://www.ars.toscana.it/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=00bfcacd-6517-4f82-8a68-5cfcf7e83ac7&groupId=12339 [accessed July 2010].
- 12 Jacobs J., Chapman E.H., Crothers D. Patient characteristics and practice patterns of physicians using homeopathy. Arch Fam Med 1998; 7: 537-540.
- 13 Witt C.M., Lüdtke R., Baur R., Willich S. Homeopathic medical practice: long-term results of a cohort study with 3981 patients. BMC Public Health 2005; 5: 115.
- 14 Rossi E., Baccetti S., Firenzuoli F., Belvedere K. Homeopathy and complementary medicine in Tuscany, Italy: integration in the public health system. Homeopathy 2008; 97: 70-75.
- 15 Tuscany Region Government Act n. 928-11.12.2006 on Tuscan Regional Integrative Agreement for Specialist Doctors. “A.C.N. Medici specialisti ambulatoriali interni ed altre professionalità ambulatoriali. Recepimento del documento Requisiti per il rilascio dell'attestazione ai medici che praticano le MnC: agopuntura, fitoterapia, medicina manuale, omeopatia”. Available from: http://web.rete.toscana.it/attinew/ and Act n. 762 of 20 February 2007. Available from: http://ordine.hsi.it/DECRETO20FEBBRAIO2007N.762.pdf [accessed July 2010].
- 16 Williams H.C., Burney P.G.J., Pembroke A.C., Hay R.J. The U.K. Working Party’s Diagnostic Criteria for Atopic Dermatitis. III. Independent hospital validation. Br J Dermatol 1994; 131: 406-416.
- 17 De Schepper L. LM potencies: one of the hidden treasures of the Sixth edition of the Organon. Br Homeopath J 1999; 88: 128-134.
- 18 Rossi E., Bartoli P., Panozzo M., Bianchi A., Da Frè M. Outcome of homeopathic treatment in paediatric patients: an observational study from 1998 to 2008. EUJIM 2010; 2: 115-122.
- 19 Rezzani C.M. WinChip: computerized homeopathic investigation program: a data collection tool to help the doctor in daily practice and a real instrument to prove and improve homeopathy. Proceedings of the International Conference “Improving the success of homeopathy 2. Developing and demonstrating effectiveness”. London 15–16 April 1999. p. 32.
- 20 Richardson W.R. Patient benefit survey: Liverpool Regional Department of Homoeopathic Medicine. Br Homeopath J 2001; 90 (03) 158-162.
- 21 Lewis-Jones S., Mugglestone M.A. Management of atopic eczema in children aged up to 12 years: summary of NICE guidance. BMJ 2007; 335: 1263-1264.
- 22 Jenkinson SG, Peters JI. Pearls from the National Institutes of Health Asthma Guidelines. PCCU Lesson 19 volume 13, pag. 2. http://www.chestnet.org/downloads/education/online/Vol13_19_24.pdf [accessed April 2010].
- 23 Reilly D.T., Taylor M.A., McSharry C., Aitchinson T. Is homoeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homoeopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as model. Lancet 1986; 2: 881-886.
- 24 Wiesenauer M., Ludtke R. Edition forschumg The Treatment of Pollinosis with Galphimia glauca D4-a Randomized Placebo-controlled Double Blind Clinical Trial. Vol III. Stuttgart: Hippocrates Verlag; 1987. 235–243.
- 25 Wiesenauer M., Ludtke R. The treatment of pollinosis with Galphimia glauca D4-a randomized placebo- controlled double-blind clinical trial. Phytomedicine 1995; 2: 3-6.
- 26 Lüdtke R., Wiesenauer M. A meta-analysis of homeopathic treatment of pollinosis with Galphimia glauca . Wien Med Wochenschr 1997; 147 (14) 323-327.
- 27 Weiser M., Gegenheimer L.H., Klein P. A randomized equivalence trial comparing the efficacy and safety of Luffa comp. Heel nasal spray with cromolyn sodium spray in the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis. Forsch Komplementarmed 1999; 6: 142-148.
- 28 Kim L.S., Riedlinger J.E., Baldwin C.M. et al. Treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis using homeopathic preparation of common allergens in the southwest region of the US: a randomized, controlled clinical trial. Ann Pharmacother 2005; 39: 617-624.
- 29 Goossens M., Laekeman G., Aertgeerts B., Buntinx F. Evaluation of the quality of life after individualized homeopathic treatment for seasonal allergic rhinitis. A prospective, open, non-comparative study. Homeopathy 2009; 98: 11-16.
- 30 Campbell J.H., Taylor M.A., Beattie N. et al. Is homoeopathy a placebo response? A controlled trial of homoeopathic immunotherapy in atopic asthma. Am Rev Resp Dis 1990; 141: A24.
- 31 Castellsagu A.P.I. Evolution of 26 cases of bronchial asthma with homoeopathic treatment. Br Homeopath J 1992; 81: 173-175.
- 32 Reilly D.T., Taylor M.A., Beattie N.G. et al. Is evidence for homoeopathy reproducible?. Lancet 1994; 344: 1601-1606.
- 33 Eizayaga F.X., Eizayaga J. Homoeopathic treatment of bronchial asthma. Br Homeopath J 1996; 85: 28-33.
- 34 Frenkel M., Hermoni D. Effects of homeopathic intervention on medication consumption in atopic and allergic disorders. Altern Ther Health Med 2002; 8: 76-79.
- 35 Colin P. Homeopathy and respiratory allergies: a series of 147 cases. Homeopathy 2006; 95: 68-72.
- 36 Lewith G.T., Watkins A.D., Hyland M.E. et al. Use of ultramolecular potencies of allergen to treat asthmatic people allergic to house dust mite: double blind randomised controlled clinical trial. BMJ 2002; 324 (7336): 520.
- 37 Rossi E., Crudeli L., Endrizzi C., Garibaldi D. Cost-benefit evaluation of homeopathic versus conventional therapy in respiratory disease. Homeopathy 2009; 9: 2-10.
- 38 Siebenwirth J., Lüdtke R., Remy W., Rakoski J., Borelli S., Ring J. Effectiveness of a classical homeopathic treatment in atopic eczema. A randomised placebo-controlled double-blind clinical trial. Forsch Komplementarmed 2009; 16 (05) 315-323.
- 39 Witt C.M., Brinkhaus B., Pach D. et al. Homoeopathic versus conventional therapy for atopic eczema in children: medical and economic results. Dermatology 2009; 219 (04) 329-340.
- 40 Witt C.M., Lüdtke R., Willich S.N. Homeopathic treatment of children with atopic eczema: a prospective observational study with two years follow-up. Acta Derm Venereol 2009; 89 (02) 182-183.
- 41 Waisse-Priven S., Jurj G., Costa Lima Thomaz L. et al. Individualized homeopathic treatment of dermatological complaints in a public outpatient clinic. Homeopathy 2009; 98 (03) 149-153.
- 42 Rossi E, Bartoli P, Bianchi A, Endrizzi C, Da Frè M. Homeopathic aggravation with Quinquagintamillesimal, Q (or LM), potencies. Homeopathy, submitted for publication.
- 43 Rhodes H.L., Sporik R., Thomas P., Holgate S.T., Cogswell J.J. Early life risk factors for adult asthma: a birth cohort study of subjects at risk. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001; 108: 720-725.
- 44 Gustafsson D., Sjoberg O., Foucard T. Development of allergies and asthma in infants and young children with atopic dermatitis: a prospective follow-up to 7 years of age. Allergy 2000; 55: 240-245.
- 45 Lau S., Nickel R., Niggemann B. et al. The development of childhood asthma: lessons from the German Multicentre Allergy Study (MAS). Paediatr Respir Rev 2002; 3: 265-272.
- 46 Buffum W.P., Settipane G.A. Prognosis of asthma in childhood. Am J Dis Child 1966; 112: 214-217.
- 47 Novembre E., Cianferoni A., Lombardi E., Bernardini R., Pucci N., Vierucci A. Natural history of ‘‘intrinsic’’ atopic dermatitis. Allergy 2001; 56: 452-453.