Prospective observational study of 42 patients with atopic dermatitis treated with homeopathic medicines
Received31 January 2011
revised12 August 2011
accepted07 September 2011
21 December 2017 (online)
Background: Atopic dermatitis (AD) is a highly prevalent chronic inflammatory skin disease which usually develops during childhood. Despite being a condition frequently treated with homeopathy, the evidence is still insufficient to define homeopathic treatment’s efficacy and the best therapeutic strategies.
Aims: To evaluate the effectiveness of homeopathic treatment of AD in a general homeopathic practice setting.
Methods: Patients spontaneously seeking homeopathic treatment meeting Hanifin and Rajka’s criteria were prospectively treated. Severity of disease was evaluated by Rajka and Langeland’s score and a set of four Visual Analogue Scales (VAS) evaluating disease severity, itch, general and psychological wellbeing and quality of sleep. Assessed outcomes were: change in AD extension, change in VASs, and a categorical scale for global subjective perception of evolution.
Results: Forty two patients were eligible. Twenty-one had other atopic comorbidities and 28 (66.7%) were moderate or severe cases. Sixteen (38.1%) patients dropped out. Significant differences were found comparing first and last consultations in mean percentage (95%CI) of affected skin area, 21.1% (10.9; 31.4) versus 5.5% (1.3; 9.7) respectively, P=0.002, and in the change or the four VASs: [mm (95%CI)] AD 31.1 (20.6; 41.7), P < 0.0001; Itch 35.0 (23.6; 46.4), P < 0.0001; General wellbeing 11.1 (1.2; 20.9), P < 0.0188, and Sleep 17.4 (5.0; 29.8), P < 0.0073. Homeopathic aggravations were reported after 29.8% of prescriptions. Twelve individualized homeopathic medicines were prescribed; Sulphur accounted for 60% of cases with good treatment response.
Conclusions: This study suggests that in a general medical practice setting, homeopathic treatment could be regarded as an effective choice for patients with AD.
- 1 Williams H.C. Clinical practice. Atopic dermatitis. N Engl J Med 2005; 352 (22) 2314-2324.
- 2 Hoare C., Li Wan Po A., Williams H. Systematic review of treatments for atopic eczema. Health Technol Assess 2000; 4 (37) 1-191.
- 3 Eichenfield L.F., Hanifin J.M., Beck L.A. et al. Atopic dermatitis and asthma: parallels in the evolution of treatment. Pediatrics 2003; 111 (03) 608-616.
- 4 Solé D., Mallol J., Wandalsen G.F., Aguirre V. Latin American ISAAC Phase 3 Study Group. Prevalence of symptoms of eczema in latin America: results of the international study of asthma and allergies in childhood (ISAAC) phase 3. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2010; 20 (04) 311-323.
- 5 Sandström Falk M.H., Faergemann J. Atopic dermatitis in adults: does it disappear with age?. Acta Derm Venereol 2006; 86: 135-139.
- 6 Consenso Nacional de Dermatitis Atópica. Sociedad Argentina de Dermatología; 12 de junio de 2004.
- 7 Waisse-Priven S., Jurj G., Lima Thomaz L.C. et al. Individualized homeopathic treatment of dermatological complaints in a public outpatient clinic. Homeopathy 2009; 98 (03) 149-153.
- 8 Keil T., Witt C.M., Roll S. et al. Homoeopathic versus conventional treatment of children with atopic eczema: a comparative cohort study. Compl Ther Med 2008; 16: 15-21.
- 9 Adler M.S., Adler U.C. Der Einsatz von Q-Potenten bei atopischem Ekzem: Bericht über eine Fallserie. Z Klass Homoopath 2010; 54 (02) 86-92.
- 10 Eizayaga J.E., Eizayaga J.I., Scala P., Scala P.B., Eizayaga F.X., Obertyner D. Dermatitis atópica. Estudio observacional prospectivo. 59 Congreso de la Liga Médica Homeopática Internacional. Buenos Aires 2004
- 11 Spence D.S. Homoeopathic treatment of eczema: a retrospective survey of 130 cases. Br Homeopath J 1991; 80: 74-81.
- 12 Sevar R. Audit of outcome in 455 consecutive patients treated with homeopathic medicines. Homeopathy 2005; 94 (04) 215-221.
- 13 Witt C.M., Lüdtke R., Willich S.N. Homeopathic treatment of children with atopic eczema: a prospective observational study with two years follow-up. Acta Derm Venereol 2009; 89: 182-183.
- 14 Itamura R., Hosoya R. Homeopathic treatment of Japanese patients with intractable atopic dermatitis. Homeopathy 2003; 92: 108-114.
- 15 Siebenwirth J., Lüdtke R., Remy W., Rakoski J., Borelli S., Ring J. Wirksamkeit einer klassisch-homöopathischen Therapie bei atopischem Ekzem. Eine randomisierte, placebokontrollierte Doppelblindstudie. Forsch Komplementmed 2009; 16: 315-323.
- 16 Hughes R., Ward D., Tobin A.M., Keegan K., Kirby B. The use of alternative medicine in pediatric patients with atopic dermatitis. Pediatr Dermatol 2007; 24 (02) 118-120.
- 17 Jensen P. Use of alternative medicine by patients with atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. Acta Derm Venereol 1990; 70 (05) 421-424.
- 18 Dantas F. Avaliação de resultados terapêuticos da homeopatia: uma proposta para a realidade brasileira. Revista de Homeopatia 2003; 68 (01/02) 47-62.
- 19 Williams H.C., Burney P.G., Pembroke A.C., Hay R.J. The U.K. working party’s diagnostic criteria for atopic dermatitis. III. Independent hospital validation. Br J Dermatol 1994; 131 (03) 406-416.
- 20 Williams H.C., Burney P.G., Pembroke A.C., Hay R.J. Validation of the U.K. diagnostic criteria for atopic dermatitis in a population setting. U.K. diagnostic criteria for atopic dermatitis working party. Br J Dermatol 1996; 135 (01) 12-17.
- 21 Rajka G., Langeland T. Grading of the severity of atopic dermatitis. Acta Derm Venereol Suppl (Stockh) 1989; 144: 13-14.
- 22 Leung D.Y.M., Rhodes A.R., Geha R.S., Schneider L., Ring J. Atopic dermatitis (atopic eczema). In: Fitzpatrick T.B. Dermatology in General Medicine. 4th edn. 1993. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1543-1564.
- 23 Krämer U., Weidinger S., Darsow U., Möhrenschlager M., Ring J., Behrendt H. Seasonality in symptom severity influenced by temperature or grass pollen: results of a panel study in children with eczema. J Invest Dermatol 2005; 124 (03) 514-523.
- 24 Charman C., Chambers C., Williams H. Measuring atopic dermatitis severity in randomized controlled clinical trials: what exactly are we measuring?. J Investig Dermatol 2003; 120 (06) 932-941.
- 25 Schmitt J., Langan S., Williams H.C. What are the best outcome measurements for atopic eczema? A systematic review. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 120 (06) 1389-1398.
- 26 Endrizzi C., Rossi E. Patient compliance with homeopathic therapy. Homeopathy 2006; 95 (04) 206-214.
- 27 Steinbeck K., Lüdtke R. Patients’ assessments of the effectiveness of homeopathic care in Norway: a prospective observational multicentre outcome study. Homeopathy 2005; 94: 10-16.
- 28 Rossi E., Endrizzi C., Panozzo M.A., Bianchi A., Da Frè M. Homeopathy in the public health system: a seven-year observational study at Lucca hospital (Italy). Homeopathy 2009; 98 (03) 142-148.
- 29 Thompson E., Barron S., Spence D. A preliminary audit investigating remedy reactions including adverse events in routine homeopathic practice. Homeopathy 2004; 93 (04) 203-209.