Subscribe to RSS
Mice as a model for homeopathy research
Received15 May 2009
revised11 September 2009
accepted16 September 2009
20 December 2017 (online)
Mice (Mus musculus) have been used as a model for homeopathy research in relation to cytotoxicity, genotoxicity and carcinogenesis in our laboratory for the last three decades. Initially, anti-radiation activities of several potentized homeopathic drugs were tested against suitable controls by taking into consideration several cytogenetic endpoints. Subsequently, anti-cytotoxic, anti-genotoxic and anti-oxidative stress effects of some homeopathic drugs were tested against several chemical toxic metalloids and metal compounds. Modern techniques including Western blot, immunofluorescence, electron microscopy, UV-spectroscopy, HPLC, FTIR, NMR, RT-PCR etc were deployed to understand the possible mechanisms and pathways of action of potentized homeopathic drugs. We hypothesise that one way by which potentized homeopathic drugs act is through regulatory action on gene expression.
- 1 Watson JD, Baker TA, Bell SP, Gann A, Levine M, Losick R. Molecular biology of the gene, 5th edn, 2004.
- 2 Lewin B. Genes VIII. New Jersy, USA: Pearson Prentice Hall, Pearson Education International; 2004.
- 3 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Some homeopathic drugs as radio-protective agents. Proceedings of the Vth all India congress of cytology and genetics. In: Manna G.K., Sinha U. Pers in Cytology and Genetics. Vol V. 1986. New Delhi: Rashtravani; 407-412
- 4 Maity S. Efficacy of certain potentized homeopathic drugs as possible radiation protectors in mice (Mus musculus) exposed to sublethal X-irradiation, University of Kalyani, India, unpublished PhD thesis, 1989.
- 5 Khuda Bukhsh A.R., Maity S. Alteration of cytogenetical effects by oral administration of a homeopathic drug, Ruta Graveolens in mice exposed to sub lethal X-ray irradiation. Berlin J Res Hom 1991; 1: 264-274.
- 6 Pathak S., Das J.K., Biswas S.J., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Protective potentials of a potentized homeopathic drug, Lycopodium-30, in ameliorating azo dye induced hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. Mol Cell Biochem 2006; 285: 121-131.
- 7 Pathak S., Bhattacharjee N., Das J.K. et al. Supportive evidences for anti-cancerous potential of an alternative medicine in hepatocarcinogenesis of mice. Forsch Komplementarmed 2007; 14: 148-156.
- 8 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R., Banik S. Assessment of cytogenetic damage in X-irradiated mice and its alteration by oral administration of potentized homeopathic drug, Ginseng D200. Berlin J Res Hom 1991; 1: 254-263.
- 9 Mitra K., Kundu S.N., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Efficacy of a potentized homeopathic drug (Arsenicum album-30) in reducing toxic effects produced by arsenic trioxide in mice:I. On rate of accumulation of arsenic in certain organs. Comp Ther Med 1998; 6: 178-184.
- 10 Mitra K., Kundu S.N., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Efficacy of a potentized homeopathic drug (Arsenicum album-30) in reducing toxic effects produced by arsenic trioxide in mice: II. On alterations of body weight, tissue weight and total protein. Comp Ther Med 1999; 7: 24-34.
- 11 Kundu S.N., Mitra K., Khuda Bukhsh A.R. Efficacy of a potentized homeopathic drug (Arsenicum-album-30) in reducing cytotoxic effects produced by arsenic trioxide in mice: III. Enzymatic changes and recovery of tissue damage in liver. Complement Ther Med 2000; 8: 76-81.
- 12 Kundu S.N., Mitra K., Khuda Bukhsh A.R. Efficacy of a potentized homeopathic drug (Arsenicum-album-30) in reducing cytotoxic effects produced by arsenic trioxide in mice: IV. Pathological changes, protein profiles, and content of DNA and RNA. Complement Ther Med 2000; 8: 157-165.
- 13 Datta S., Mallick P., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Efficacy of a potentized homeopathic drug (Arsenic album-30) in reducing genotoxic effects produced by arsenic trioxide in mice: comparative studies of pre-, post- and combined pre- and post-oral administration and comparative efficacy of two microdoses. Complement Ther Med 1999; 7: 62-75.
- 14 Datta S., Mallick P., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Efficacy of a potentized homeopathic drug (Arsenic album-30) in reducing genotoxic effects produced by arsenic trioxide in mice: II. Comparative efficacy of an antibiotic, actinomycin D alone and in combination with either of two microdoses. Comp Ther Med 1999; 7: 156-163.
- 15 Biswas S.J., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Effect of a homeopathic drug, Chelidonium, in amelioration of p-DAB induced hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. BMC Comp Altern Med 2002; 2: 1-12.
- 16 Biswas S.J., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Evaluation of protective potentials of a homeopathic drug, Chelidonium majus, during azo dye induced hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. Indian J Exp Biol 2004; 42: 698-714.
- 17 Biswas S.J., Pathak S., Bhattacharjee N., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Efficacy of a potentized homeopathic drug, Carcinosin-200, fed alone and in combination with another drug, Chelidonium 200, in amelioration of p-DAB induced hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. J Altern Complement Med 2005; 11: 839-854.
- 18 Biswas S.J., Bhattacharjee N., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Efficacy of a plant extract (Chelidonium majus, L.) in combating induced hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. Food Chem Toxicol 2008; 46: 1474-1487.
- 19 Bhattacharjee N., Pathak S., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Amelioration of carcinogen-induced toxicity in mice by administration of a potentized homeopathic drug, Natrum Sulpuricum 200. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2007: 1-11 10.1093/ecam/nem067
- 20 Bhattacharjee N., Banerjee P., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Homeopathic drugs Natrum sulphuricum and Carcinosin prevent azo dye-induced hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. Indian J Biochem Biophys 2009; 46: 1-6.
- 21 Mallick P., Chakrabarti Mallick J., Guha B. et al. Ameliorating effect of microdoses of a potentized homeopathic drug, Arsenicum album, on arsenic-induced toxicity in mice. BMC Complement Altern Med 2003; 3/7: 1-18.
- 22 Banik S., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Assessment of cytogenetical and haematological changes inflicted in lethality X-irradiated mice and their alteration by oral administration of potentized homeopathic drug, Arnica Montana . Pres Cytol Genet 1995; 8: 203-217.
- 23 Banik S., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Alterations of cytogenetical and haematological effects by ultra-low doses of Ginseng in whole-body X-irradiated mice. Nucleus 1996; 49: 28-35.
- 24 Banerjee P., Bhattacharjee S.S., Pathak S., Boujedaini N., Belon P., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Comparative efficacies of microdoses of a potentized homeopathic drug, Arsenicum album in amelioration of toxicity induced by repeated sub-lethal injections of arsenic trioxide in mice. Pathobiology 2007; 75: 156-170.
- 25 Banerjee P., Biswas S.J., Belon P., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. A potentized homeopathic drug, Arsenicum album 200, can ameliorate genotoxicity induced by repeated injections of arsenic trioxide in mice. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 2007; 54: 370-376.
- 26 Banerjee P., Bhattacharjee S.S., Pathak S., Boujedaini N., Belon P., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Evidences of protective potentials of microdoses of ultra-high diluted arsenic trioxide in mice receiving repeated injections of arsenic trioxide. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2009 10.1093/ecam/nen090
- 27 Bhattacharyya S.S., Mandal S.K., Biswas R. et al. In vitro studies demonstrate anticancer activity of an alkaloid of plant Gelsemium semipervirens . Exp Biol Med 2008; 233: 1591-1601.
- 28 Kim E.K., Kwon K.B., Shin B.C. et al. Scopoletin induces apoptosis in human promyeloleukemic cells, accompanied by activations of nuclear factor nB and caspase-3. Life Sci 2005; 77: 824-836.
- 29 Jin W., Wang H., Yan J.I. et al. Genetic ablation of Nrf2 enhances susceptibility to acute lung injury after traumatic brain injury in mice. Exp Biol Med 2009; 234: 181-189.
- 30 Plaa G.L., Amdun A.M., Doull J. et al. Toxic responses of the liver. 4th edn. Pergamon Press; 1991.
- 31 Timbrell J.A. Principles of biochemical toxicology. London: Taylor and Francis; 1991.
- 32 Vinitha R., Thangaraju M., Sachdanandam P. Effect of administering cyclphosphamide and vitamin E on the levels of tumor-marker enzymes in rats with experimentally induced fibrosarcoma. Jpn J Med Sci Biol 1995; 48: 145-156.
- 33 Bain P.J., Latimer K.S., Mahaffey E.A. et al. Duncan and Prasse's veterinary medicine, liver clinical pathology. 4th edn. Ames: Iowa State Press; 2003. pp 193–214
- 34 Valentine B.A., Blue J.T., Shelly S.M., Cooper B.J. Increased serum alanine aminotransferase activity associated with muscle necrosis in the dog. J Vet Intern Med 1990; 4: 140-143.
- 35 Stockham S.L., Scott M.A. Fundamentals of veterinary clinical pathology. Ames: Iowa State University Press; 2002. pp 434–459
- 36 Hederstedt L., Rutberg L. Succinate dehydrogenase – a comparative view. Microbiol Rev 1981; 45: 542-555.
- 37 Delides A., Richard J.S., David M.G., Frank E.N. An optimized semi-automatic method for serum glutathione reductase activity and its application to patients with malignant disease. J Clin Pathol 1976; 29: 73-77.
- 38 Khuda-Bukhsh AR, Goswami S, Barat A, Sadhukhan G, Mukherjee A. X-ray induced chromosomal aberrations and their alterations by the oral administration of a homeopathic drug, Arnica montana, in mice. In: Proceedings of a Seminar on the Effect of Environmental Agents on Genetical Systems. Calcutta, 18–20 Oct, 1982: Abstract: 2–3.
- 39 Banik S. Experimental studies in mice (Mus musculus) to evaluate the efficacy of some homeopathic drugs in modifying cytogenetical, haematological and immunological effects. University of Kalyani, India, unpublished PhD thesis, 1993.
- 40 Chakrabarti J., Biswas S.J., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Cytogenetical effects of sonication in mice and their modulations by actinomycin D and a homeopathic drug, Arnica 30. Indian J Exp Biol 2001; 39: 1235-1242.
- 41 Khuda-Bukhsh AR. The efficacy of a potentized homeopathic drug in combating arsenic poisoning: a suggestive scientific probe. In: Manna GK, Roy SC (eds). AICCG Publ. Kalyani Univ, 2000; 10: 231–239.
- 42 Khuda Bukhsh A.R., Pathak S., Guha B. et al. Can homeopathic arsenic remedy combat arsenic poisoning in human exposed to ground water arsenic contamination: a preliminary report on first human trial. Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2005; 2: 537-548.
- 43 Belon P., Banerjee A., Roy Karmakar S. et al. Homeopathic remedy for arsenic toxicity? Evidence-based findings from a randomized placebo controlled double blind human trial. Sci Total Environ 2007; 384: 141-150.
- 44 Belon P., Banerjee P., Chaki Choudhury S. et al. Can administration of potentized homeopathic remedy, Arsenicum album, alter anti-nuclear antibody (ANA) titer in people living in high risk arsenic contaminated areas? I. A correlation with certain hematological parameters. Evid Based Complememt Alternet Med 2006; 3: 99-107.
- 45 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R., Karmakar S.R., Banerjee A. et al. A follow-up study on the efficacy of the homeopathic remedy Arsenicum album in the volunteers living in high risk arsenic contamination areas. Evid Based Complememt Alternet Med 2009: 1-8 10.1093/ecam/nep122
- 46 Datta S., Mallick P., Khuda Bukhsh A.R. Comparative efficacy of two microdoses of a potentized homeopathic drug, Cadmium sulphoricum, in reducing cytogenetical effects produced by cadmium chloride in mice: a time- course study. BMC Compl Altern Med 2001; 1: 9
- 47 Datta S., Biswas S.J., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Comparative efficacy of pre-, post- and combined pre- and post feeding of two microdoses of a potentized homeopathic drug, Mercurius solubilis, in ameliorating genotoxic effects produced by mercuric chloride in mice. Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2004; 1: 291-300.
- 48 Datta, S. Efficacy of some potentized homeopathic drugs in modifying cytogenetic effects of certain toxic chemicals in a mammalian model, Mus musculus, in vivo. University of Kalyani, India, unpublished PhD thesis, 1998.
- 49 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. An evidenced-based evaluation of efficacy of homeopathic drugs in mice during induced hepatocarcinogenesis. Perspect Cytol Genet 2007; 13: 177-185.
- 50 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R., Bhattacharryya S.S., Paul S., Datta S., Boujedaini N., Belon P. Modulation of signal proteins: a plausible mechanism to explain how a potentized drug Secale cor 30C diluted beyoned Avogadro's limit combat skin papilloma in mice. Evid Based Complement Alternet Med 2009: 1-12 10.1093/ecam/nep084
- 51 The HomBRex database. Available from: http://www.carstens-stiftung.de/hombrex
- 52 Anagnostatos G.S., Pissis P., Viras K. et al. Theory and experiments on high dilutions. In: Ernst E., Hahn E.G. Homoeopathy – a Critical Appraisal. 1998. Butterworth-Heinemann, Reed Educational and Professional Publishers Ltd; 153-166
- 53 Allegre C.J., Provost A., Jaupart C. Oscillatory zoning: a pathological case of crystal growth. Nature 1989; 294: 223-228.
- 54 Bellavite P., Signorini A. The emerging science of homeopathy. Berkeley: North Atlantic; 2002.
- 55 Elia V., Niccoli M. Thermodynamics of extremely diluted aqueous solutions. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1999; 879: 241-248.
- 56 Lo S.Y., Bonavida B. A book containing a dozen experiments using IE crystals. In: Lo S.Y., Bonavida B. Proceedings of the First International Symposium on IE Water Clusters. 1998. Singapore: World Scientific; 81-90
- 57 Anick D.J., Ives J.A. The silica hypothesis for homeopathy:physical chemistry. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 189-195.
- 58 Rey L. Can low-temperature thermoluminiscence cast light on nature of ultra-high dilutions?. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 170-174.
- 59 Chaplin M.F. The memory of water: an overview. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 143-150.
- 60 Samal S., Geckeler K.E. Unexpected solute aggregation in water on dilution. Chem Commun 2001: 2224-2225
- 61 Wisniewski E.S., Folmer D.E., Castleman Jr. A.W. Spectroscopic studies of cluster species. Final program 383, PHYS fall 2000 technical program, 222nd ACS national meeting Chicago: ILL; 2001. pp 26–30
- 62 Andersson P.U., Tomsic A., Andersson M.B. et al. Emission of small fragments during water cluster collisions with graphite surface. Chem Phys Lett 1997; 279: 100-106.
- 63 Markovic N., Andersson P.U., Nagard M.B. et al. Scattering of water from graphite: simulations and experiments. Chem Phys 1999; 247: 413
- 64 Hameroff S. Departments of anesthesiology and psychology, associate director, center for consciousness studies, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 2001. Available at: http://www.consciousness.arizona.edu/hameroff.
- 65 Dantas F., Fisher P., Walach H. et al. A systematic review of the quality of homeopathic pathogenetic trials published from 1945 to 1995. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 4-16.
- 66 Elia V., Napoli E., Germano R. The “Memory of Water”: an almost deciphered enigma. Dissipative structures in extremely dilute aqueous solutions. Homeopathy 2007; 96: 163-169.
- 67 Bastide M. Immunological examples on ultra high dilution research. In: Endler P.C., Schulte J. Ultra High Dilution. 1994. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publ; 27-33
- 68 Bellavite P., Ortolani R., Conforti A. Immunology and homeopathy. 3. Experimental studies in animal models. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2006; 3: 171-186.
- 69 Van Wijk R., Wiegant F.A.C. Homeopathy and the mammalian cell:programmed cell recovery and new therapeutic strategies. In: Earnst E., Hahn E.G. Homeopathy – A Critical Appraisal. 1998. Woburn, Mass: Butterworth-Heinemann, Reed Educational and Professional Publishers; 180-186
- 70 Van Wijk R. The in vitro evidence for an effect of high homeopathic potencies – a systematic review of the literature. Complement Ther Med 2007; 15: 139-141.
- 71 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Potentized homeopathic drugs act through regulation of gene expression: a hypothesis to explain their mechanism and pathways of action in vivo. Complement Ther Med 1997; 5: 43-46.
- 72 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Towards understanding molecular mechanisms of action of homeopathic drugs: an overview. Mol Cell Biochem 2003; 253: 339-345.
- 73 Khuda-bukhsh A.R. Laboratory research in homeopathy:pro. Integr Cancer Ther 2006; 5: 1-14.
- 74 Khuda-Bukhsh A.R., Pathak S. Homeopathic drug discovery: theory update and methodological aspect. Expert Opin Drug Discov 2008; 3: 979-990.
- 75 Doliviera de Oliveira C.C., de Oliveira S.M., Goes V.M., Probst C.M., Krieger M.A., Buchi Dde F. Gene expression profiling of macrophages following mice treatment with an immunomodulator medication. J Cell Biochem 2008; 104: 1364-1377.
- 76 Pathak S., Banerjee A., Paul S., Khuda-Bukhsh A.R. Protective potentials of a plant extract (Lycopodium clavatum) on mice chronically fed hepato-carciinogens. Indian J Exp Biol 2009; 47: 602-607.
- 77 Davenas E., Beauvais F., Amara J. et al. Human basophil degranulation triggered by very dilute anti-serum against IgE. Nature 1988; 333: 816-818.