An animal model for the study of Chamomilla in stress and depression: pilot study
Verantwortlicher Herausgeber dieser Rubrik:
Received10. Mai 2007
revised08. März 2008
accepted17. April 2008
20. Dezember 2017 (online)
The behavioral and hematological effects of treatment with Chamomilla 6cH in mice subjected to experimental stress are described. Swiss mice were randomly divided into pairs, one animal was inoculated with Ehrlich's tumor, the other was treated daily with Chamomilla 6cH or control or received no treatment. After 7 days, the animals were observed in an open-field arena and blood samples taken. Mice who cohabitated with a sick cage-mate showed a decrease in their general activity, but those treated with Chamomilla 6cH were less severely affected (p = 0.0426). No hematological changes were observed.
In a second experiment, the forced swimming test was applied to mice pre-treated with Chamomilla 6cH, controls were: water, 10% ethanol or amitriptyline. Only the amitriptyline and ethanol treated groups showed significant excitatory behavior (p = 0.0020), Chamomilla 6cH treated animals' scores intermediate between water control and ethanol or amitriptyline. A decrease in the leukocyte count was observed in the amitriptyline and Chamomilla 6cH treated groups (p = 0.039). These data suggest that treatment with Chamomilla 6cH is related to the recovery of basal behavioral conditions in mice subjected to stressful conditions.
- 1 Selye H. Stress. 1st edn. Barcelona: Editorial Cientifico Medico; 1954.
- 2 Solomon P., Patch V.D. Manual de Psiquiatria. São Paulo: Atheneu Editora São Paulo S/A; 1975. pp 53–68.
- 3 Flaskerud J.H., Lee P. Vulnerability to health problems in female informal caregivers of persons with HIV/AIDS and age-related dementias. J Adv Nurs 2001; 33: 60-68.
- 4 Kiecolt-Glaser J.K., Robles T.F., Heffner K.L. et al. Psycho-oncology and cancer: psychoneuroimmunology and cancer. Ann Oncol 2002; 13: 165-169.
- 5 Ligeiro-Oliveira A.P., Fialho de Araujo A.M., Lazzarini R. et al. Effects of amphetamine on immune-mediated lung inflammatory response in rats. Neuroimmunomodulation 2004; 11: 181-190.
- 6 Morgulis M.S.F.A., Stankevicious D., Sá Rocha L.C. et al. Cohabitation with a sick cage mate: consequences on behavior and on Ehrlich tumor growth. Neuroimmunomodulation 2004; 11: 49-57.
- 7 Porsolt R.D., Antón G., Blavet N. et al. Behavioural despair in rats: a new model sensitive to antidepressant treatments. Eur J Pharmacol 1978; 47 (04) 379-391.
- 8 Lathoud J.A. Matéria Médica Homeopática. São Paulo: Robe Ed; 2002. pp 191–194.
- 9 Cristea A., Teodorescu-Negres S., Darie V. Chamomilla homeopatic dilution effect on central nervous system. In: Bastide M. Signals and Images. 1997. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 171-178.
- 10 Andersen M.L., D'almeida V., Ko G.M. Princípios Éticos e Práticos do Uso de Animais de Experimentação. São Paulo: UNIFESP – Universidade Federal de São Paulo; 2004. p 167.
- 11 Palanza P., Gioiosa L., Parmigiani S. Social stress in mice: gender differences and effects of estrous cycle and social dominance. Physiol Behav 2001; 73: 411-420.
- 12 Broadhurst P.L. Experiments in psychotics. In: Eisenk H.J. Experiments in Personality. 1960. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.;
- 13 Hirani K., Khisti R.T., Chopde C.T. Behavioral action of ethanol in Porsolt's forced swim test: modulation by 3-alpha-hydroxy-5-alpha-prgnan-20-one. Neuropharmacology 2002; 43 (08) 1339-1350.
- 14 Baumgartner S., Thurneysen A., Heusser P. Growth stimulation of dwarf peas (Pisum sativum L.) through homeopathic potencies of plant growth substances. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 2004; 11: 281-292.
- 15 Rossi F., Melo P.C.T., Ambrosano E.J., Guirado N. et al. Aplicação do Medicamento Homeopático Carbo Vegetabilis e Desenvolvimento das Mudas de Alface. Cult Homeopat 2006; 17: 14-17.
- 16 Ruiz-Vega G., Perez-Ordaz L., Cortés-Galván L. et al. A kinetic approach to caffeine–Coffea cruda interaction. Homeopathy 2003; 92: 19-29.
- 17 Coelho C.P., D'Almeida V., Pedrazzolli Neto M. et al. Therapeutic and pathogenetic animal models for Dolichos pruriens . Homeopathy 2006; 95: 136-143.
- 18 Soares FM. Atividade geral de ratos tratados com Bryonia alba 200cH. Trabalho de Conclusão de curso de graduação. Faculdade de Farmácia. São Paulo, UNISA, 2007.
- 19 Bousta D., Soulimani R., Jarmouni P. et al. Neutropic, immunological and gastric effects of low doses of Atropa belladona L., Gelsemium sempervirens L. and Poumon histamine in stressed mice. J Ethnopharmacol 2001; 74: 205-215.