The ‘Memory of Water’: an almost deciphered enigma. Dissipative structures in extremely dilute aqueous solutions
Received02 April 2007
revised22 May 2007
accepted29 May 2007
13 December 2017 (online)
In the last decade, we have investigated from the physicochemical point of view, whether water prepared by the procedures of homeopathic medicine (leading inexorably to systems without any molecule different from the solvent) results in water different from the initial water?
The answer, unexpectedly, but strongly supported by many experimental results is positive. We used well-established physicochemical techniques: flux calorimetry, conductometry, pHmetry and galvanic cell electrodes potential. Unexpectedly the physicochemical parameters evolve in time.
The water solvent exhibits large changes in measurable physicochemical properties as a function of its history, the solute previously dissolved, and time. In particular we found evidence of two new phenomena, both totally unpredicted, in homeopathic dilutions: the presence of a maximum in the measured physicochemical parameters vs sample age, and their dependence on the volume in which the dilution is stored. These new experimental results strongly suggest the presence of an extended and ‘ordered’ dynamics involving liquid water molecules.
- 1 Davenas E., Beauvais F., Amara J. et al. Human basophil degranulation triggered by very dilute antiserum against IgE. Nature 1988; 333: 816-818.
- 2 Germano R. AQUA. L’acqua elettromagnetica e le sue mirabolanti avventure. Napoli: Bibliopolis; 2007.
- 3 Prigogine I. From Being to Becoming. Time and Complexity in the Physical Sciences. San Francisco: Freeman; 1980.
- 4 Elia V., Niccoli M. Thermodynamics of extremely diluted aqueous solutions. Ann NY Acad Sci 1999; 879: 241.
- 5 Elia V., Niccoli M. New physico-chemical properties of water induced by mechanical treatments. A Calorimetric study at 25 °C. J Therm Anal Calorimetry 2000; 61: 527-537.
- 6 Elia V., Niccoli M. New Physico-chemical properties of extremely diluted aqueous solutions. J Therm Anal Calorimetry 2004; 75: 815-836.
- 7 Elia V., Baiano S., Duro I. et al. New and permanent physico-chemical properties of the extremely diluted aqueous solutions of the homeopathic medicine. A conductivity measurements study at 25 °C in function of the age of the potencies. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 144-150.
- 8 Elia V., Napoli E., Niccoli M. et al. New physico-chemical properties of extremely diluted aqueous solutions. A calorimetric and conductivity study at 25 °C. J Therm Anal Calorimetry 2004; 78: 331-342.
- 9 Elia V., Marchese M., Montanino M. et al. Hydrohysteretic phenomena of ‘extremely diluted solutions’ induced by mechanical treatments. A calorimetric and conductometric study at 25 °C. J Solution Chem 2005; 34 (08) 947-960.
- 10 Elia V., Elia L., Cacace P. et al. Extremely diluted solutions as multi-variable systems. A study of calorimetric and conductometric behaviour as function of the parameter time. J Therm Anal Calorimetry 2006; 84 (02) 317-323.
- 11 Elia V., Elia L., Marchese M. et al. Interaction of ‘extremely diluted solutions’ with aqueous solutions of hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide. A calorimetric study at 298 K. J Mol Liq 2007; 130: 15-20.
- 12 Elia V., Elia L., Montanino M. et al. Conductometric studies of the serially diluted and agitated solutions. On an anomalous effect that depends on the dilution process. J Mol Liq 2007; 135: 158-165.
- 13 Elia V., Elia L., Napoli E. et al. Conductometric and calorimetric studies of serially diluted and agitated solutions: the dependence of intensive parameters on volume. Int J Ecodyn 2006; 1 (04) 1-12.
- 14 Belon P., Cumps J., Mannaioni P.F. et al. Inhibition of human basophil degranulation by successive histamine dilutions: results of a European multi-centre trial. Inflammation Research 1999; 48 (Suppl. 01) S17-S18.
- 15 Rey L. Thermoluminescence of ultra-high dilutions of lithium chloride and sodium chloride. Physica A 2003; 323: 67-74.
- 16 Betti L., Brizzi M., Nani D. et al. A pilot statistical study with homoeopathic potencies of arsenicum album in wheat germination as a simple model. Br Hom J 1994; 83: 195-201.
- 17 Betti L., Brizzi M., Nani D. et al. Effect of high dilutions of arsenicum album on wheat seedlings from seed poisoned with the same substance. Br Hom J 1997; 86: 86-89.
- 18 Brizzi M., Nani D., Peruzzi M. et al. The problem of homoeopathy effectiveness: a comparative analysis of different statistical interpretations of a large data collection from a simple wheat germination model. Br Hom J 2000; 89: 1-5.
- 19 Torrigiani P., Rabiti A.L., Bortolotti C. et al. Polyamine synthesis and accumulation in the hypersensitive response to TMV in Nicotiana tabacum . New Phytol 1997; 135: 467-473.
- 20 Rabiti A.L., Betti L., Bortolotti C. et al. Short term polyamine response in TMV-inoculated hypersensitive and susceptible tobacco plants. New Phytol 1998; 139: 549-553.
- 21 Piccardi G., Cini R. Polymerization and the low-frequency electromagnetic field. J Polym Sci 1960; 48: 393.
- 22 Piccardi G. Chemical test made in Antarctic. Geofis Meteorol 1963; XII: 55.
- 23 Piccardi G. 22 year solar cycle and chemical test. Geofis Meteorol 1961; XX: 104.
- 24 De Meyer F., Capel-Boute C. Statistical analysis of Piccardi chemical tests. Int J Biometeorol 1987; 31: 301-322.
- 25 Grotthuss C.J.T. Sur la décomposition de l’eau et des corps qu’elle tient en dissolution à l’aide de l’électricité galvanique. Ann Chim 1806; 58: 54-73.
- 26 Del Giudice E., Mele R., Preparata G. Dicke Hamiltonian and superradiant phase transitions. Mod Phys Lett B 1993; 7 (28) 1851-1855.
- 27 Preparata G. QED Coherence in Matter. Singapore: World Scientific; 1995.
- 28 Arani R., Bono I., Del Giudice E. et al. QED coherence and the thermodynamics of water. Int J Mod Phys B 1995; 9: 1813.
- 29 Del Giudice E., Preparata G. A new QED picture of water: understanding a few fascinating phenomena. in: Sassaroli E. et al. Macroscopic Quantum Coherence. 1998. Singapore: World Scientific; 49-64.