The use of homeopathic combination remedy for dengue fever symptoms: a pilot RCT in Honduras
Received11 July 2006
revised20 October 2006
accepted30 October 2006
13 December 2017 (online)
A double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized trial of a homeopathic combination medication for dengue fever was carried out in municipal health clinics in Honduras. Sixty patients who met the case definition of dengue (fever plus two ancillary symptoms) were randomized to receive the homeopathic medication or placebo for 1 week, along with standard conventional analgesic treatment for dengue. The results showed no difference in outcomes between the two groups, including the number of days of fever and pain as well as analgesic use and complication rates. Only three subjects had laboratory confirmed dengue. An interesting sinusoidal curve in reported pain scores was seen in the verum group that might suggest a homeopathic aggravation or a proving. The small sample size makes conclusions difficult, but the results of this study do not suggest that this combination homeopathic remedy is effective for the symptoms that are characteristic of dengue fever.
- 1 Gubler D.J. Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever. Clin Microbiol Rev 1998; 11: 480-496.
- 2 Hayes E.B., Gubler D.J. Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever. Pediatr Inf Dis J 1992; 11: 311-317.
- 3 Cowperthwaite AC. Dengue. Textbook of the Practice of Medicine, Chicago: Halsey Bros. Co, 1904.
- 4 Lessell KB. The World Traveler's Manual of Homeopathy. Essex, England: The C.W. Daniel Company Limited; 1993.
- 5 Schroyens F (ed.). Synthesis: Repertorium Homeopaticum Syntheticum, 6th edn. London: Homeopathic Book Publishers, 1996.
- 6 Ferley J.P., Smirou D., D’Adhemar D., Balducci F. A controlled evaluation of a homeopathic preparation in the treatment of influenza-like syndromes. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1989; 27: 329-335.
- 7 Jacobs J., Jimenez L.M., Gloyd S., Carares F.E., Paniagua-Gaitan M., Crothers D. Homeopathic treatment of acute childhood diarrhea. Bri Homeopath J 1993; 82: 83-86.
- 8 Jacobs J., Jimenez L.M., Gloyd S., Gale J., Crothers D. Treatment of acute childhood diarrhea with homeopathic medicine: a randomized clinical trial in Nicaragua. Pediatrics 1994; 93: 719-725.
- 9 Jacobs J., Jimenez L.M., Malthouse S. et al. Homeopathic treatment of acute childhood diarrhea: results from a clinical trial in Nepal. J Altern Complement Med 2000; 6: 131-139.
- 10 Boericke W. Pocket Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica, 9th edn. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers; 1978.
- 11 Jacobs J., Jonas W.B., Jimenez-Perez. Crothers D. Homeopathy for childhood diarrhea: Combined results and meta-analysis from three randomized, controlled clinical trials. Ped Infect Dis J 2003; 22: 229-234.
- 12 Kent JT, Repertory of the Homeopathic Materia Medica, 6th edn. New Delhi: Jain Publishing, 1984.
- 13 Milgrom L.R. Are randomized controlled trials (RCTs) redundant for testing the efficacy of homeopathy? A critique of RCT methodology based on entanglement theory. J Altern Complem Med 2005; 11: 831-838.
- 14 Jacobs J., Guthrie B.L., Montes G.A. et al. Homeopathic combination remedy in the treatment of acute childhood diarrhea in Honduras. J Altern Complement Med 2006; 12: 723-732.