Subscribe to RSS
Clinical management of idiopathic epilepsy in dogs with homeopathic Belladonna 200C: a case series
Received10 May 2006
revised03 August 2006
accepted04 September 2006
13 December 2017 (online)
Epilepsy is an important neurological disorder in dogs. Belladonna 200C was evaluated in 10 dogs with idiopathic epilepsy. During the seizure phase, 3–4 drops of Belladonna 200C were administered orally at 15 min intervals until considerable reduction in seizure activity, then four times daily. Four dogs with head shaking syndrome in addition to seizures were given Cocculus 6C, 3–4 drops orally weekly for 3 months in addition. Numbers of fits reduced to 2–3 during first 2 weeks post-therapy and then became occasional in next 2 weeks. With continuation of Belladonna therapy, no fits were observed during 2–7 months follow-up. In two cases epileptic fits reappeared within 15–25 days of cessation of therapy. Belladonna therapy was resumed and seizure control was again achieved. Owners were advised to continue the therapy at least twice daily until there were no fits for 2–3 months. Liver specific enzymes were monitored, no abnormalities were observed.
- 1 Schunk K.L. Seizure Disorders. in: Morgan R.V. Hand Book of Small Animal Practice. 2nd ed. 1992. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company; 243-250
- 2 Bunch S.E. Compromised hepatic function in dogs treated with anticonvulsant drugs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1984; 184: 444
- 3 Dayrell-Hart B. Hepatotoxicity of phenobarbital in dogs: 18 cases (1985–1989). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1991; 199: 1060
- 4 Boericke W. Pocket Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica. Karolbagh Road, New Delhi, India: Indian Books and Periodical Publishers; 2001.
- 5 Bateman S.W, Parent J.M. Clinical findings, treatment and outcome of dogs with status epilepticus of cluster seizures: 156 cases (1990–1995). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1999; 215: 1463-1468.
- 6 Platt S.R, Haag M. Canine status epilepticus: a retrospective study of 50 cases. J Small Anim Pract 2002; 43: 151-155.
- 7 Platt S.R., McDonnell J.J. Status epilepticus: Clinical features and pathophysiology. Comp Cont Educ Pract Vet 2000; 22: 660-669.
- 8 Murphy R. Lotus Materia Medica. 2nd revised edn. New Delhi, India: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2002.