Effect of a Homeopathic complex on oestrus induction and hormonal profile in anoestrus cows
Received21 February 2005
revised19 July 2005
accepted22 March 2006
26 December 2017 (online)
This study was undertaken to evaluate the efficacy of a homeopathic complex in the management of true anoestrus in crossbred cows. Six anoestrus cows were treated with a homeopathic complex (Calcarea phosphorica 30c, Aletris farinosa 30c, Pulsatilla 30c, Aurum muriaticum natronatum 30c, Sepia 30c and Phosphorus 30c in equal proportion, 15 pills twice daily orally for 10 days). Six animals acted as control without any treatment.
Treatment was 100% effective in inducing oestrus in anoestrus cows with mean interval of 27.5±5.3 days. All animals conceived and overall conception rate was 54.5% with 1.83 services per conception. In the homeopathic complex treated group, increased serum oestradiol concentration (20.88±5.60 to 27.80±7.28 pg/ml) was observed compared to the pretreatment (11.71±2.06 pg/ml) and control value (10.43±1.77 to 13.94±3.14 pg/ml). The homeopathic complex medicine may be effective and economical in the treatment of true anoestrus condition in cows.
- 1 Kaikini A.S. Reproductive disorders of Livestock. in: Handbook of Animal Husbandry . 2002. ICAR Publication; 692-718.
- 2 Naidu K.V., Rao A.R. Incidence of infertility among crossbred cattle of Andhra Pradesh. Indian J Anim Sci 1981; 51: 829-831.
- 3 Luktuke S.N., Sharma C. Studies on the incidence of true anoestrus in rural cattle and buffaloes. Indian Vet J 1978; 55: 940-942.
- 4 Grunert E. Zur ovardystrophia beim Rind. Collegium Veterinarium 1981: 73-77.
- 5 Odd K.G. A review of synchronization of estrus in postpartum cattle. J Anim Sci 1990; 70: 817-830.
- 6 Kaikini A.S. Field problems of infertility in cattle and buffaloes. Indian J Anim Reprod 1989; 10: 79-84.
- 7 Williamson A.V., Mackie W.L., Craford W.J. et al. A study using sepia 200C given prophylatically postpartum to prevent anoestrus problems in the dairy cow. Br Homeopathic J 1991; 80: 149.
- 8 Reilly D. Is homeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trials of homeopathic potency with pollen in hay fever as model. Lancet 1986; 2: 881.
- 9 Kumar H., Srivastava S.K., Yadav M.C. et al. Management of postpartum anoestrus in dairy animals with a homeopathic combination remedy. Indian J Anim Sci 2004; 74: 739-740.
- 10 Snedecor G.W., Cochran W.G. Statistical Methods. 6th edn. USA: The Iowa State University Press; 1989.
- 11 Boericke W. Pocket Manual of Homeopathic Materia Medica. 9th edn. NewDelhi: Indian Books and Periodicals Publishers; 2001.
- 12 Duke A., Jo Bogenschutz-Godwin M., du Cellier J. et al. Hand Book of Medicinal Herbs. 2nd edn. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2002. p. 43–297.
- 13 Madrewar B.P. Diseases of the female genital reproductive tract, infertility. in: Therapeutics of Veterinary Homeopathy . 1995. NewDelhi: B. Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 127-152.
- 14 Staigmiller R.B., England B.G., Webb R. et al. Estrogen secretion and gonadotropin binding by individual follicles during estrous cycle. J Anim Sci 1982; 55: 1473-1482.
- 15 Nachreiner RF. Diagnostic endocrinology. in: Morrow DA, editor. Current Therapy in Theriogenology 2. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunder Company, 1986. p. 17–25.
- 16 Singh U., Khurana N.K. Inderjeet. Plasma progesterone profiles and fertility status of anoestrus zebu cattle related with norgestomet–estradiol–eCG regimen. Theriogenology 1998; 50: 1191-1199.
- 17 Knickerbocker JJ, Drost M, Thatcher WW. Endocrine changes during the initiation of puberty, the estrous cycle, pregnancy and parturition in cattle. in: Morrow DA, editor. Current Therapy in Theriogeneolgy 2. Philadelphia: W.B Saunder Company, 1986. p. 117–125.
- 18 Blood DC, Radostits OM, Henderson JA, et al. Diseases caused by nutritional deficiencies. in: Veterinary Medicine. 6th edn. Oxford: ELBS, 1983. p. 1015–1079.
- 19 Kumar S., Sharma M.C., Dwivedi S.K. Calcium, phosphorus and serum electrolyte changes in anoestrus and repeat breeding cows and heifers. Cherion 1986; 17: 9-12.
- 20 Das S., Basu S., Sarkar A.K. et al. Comparative study of certain serum macro and micro minerals in anoestrus and normal cyclical rural crossbred cows. Indian J Anim Health 2002; 41: 99-102.
- 21 Parkinson TJ. Infertility in the cow. in: Noakes DE, Parkinson TJ, England GCW, editors. Arthur's Veterinary Reproduction and Obstetrics. 8th edn. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company, 2001. p. 383–473.