The Relationship between allergy and homeopathy: a framework
21 December 2017 (online)
For 20 years a growing incidence of allergic pathologies has been observed. Such pathology now affects approximately 20% of the population in developed countries. Homeopathy is often used in the treatment of allergic diseases; and the evaluation of the effect of high dilutions began in 1986.[ 1 ] While visiting the Tate Gallery recently, after the very interesting international Conference in London. A ‘Global perspective’, I was struck by Turner's method of preparing the canvas before beginning his painting. Similarly, we also need to prepare the way to a ‘global perspective’. To the relationship between homeopathy and allergy two articles in this issue of Homeopathy, combined with previous publications, allow us to begin to apply such a method.
- 1 Reilly D.T., Taylor M.A., Mc Sharry C., Aitchison T. Is homeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homeopathy potency with pollen in hayfever as model. Lancet 1986; ii: 881-885.
- 2 Colin P. Homeopathy and respiratory allergies; a series of 147 cases. Homp 2006; 95(2): 68–72.
- 3 Launsø L., Kimby C., Henningsen I., Fonnebo V. An explorative retrospective study of people suffering from hypersensitivity illnesses who attend medical or classical homeopathic treatment. Homp 2006; 95 (02) 73-80.
- 4 Schafer T., Riehle A., Wichmann H-.E., Ring J. Alternative medicines in allergies—prevalence, patterns of use and costs Allergy 2002; 57 (08) 694-700.
- 5 Wiesenauer M., Lüdtke R. A meta-analysis of the homeopathic treatment of pollinosis with Galphimia glauca . Försch Komplementärmed 1996; 3: 230-234.
- 6 Taylor M.A., Reilly D., Llewellyn-Jones R.H., Mc Sharry C., Aitchison T.C. Randomised controlled trial of homeopathy versus placebo in perennial allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial series. BMJ 2000; 321: 19-26.
- 7 Reilly D.T., Taylor M.A., Beattle N.G.M. et al. Is evidence for homeopathy reproducible?. Lancet 1994; 344: 1601-1606.
- 8 Lewith G.T., Watkins A.D., Hyland M.E. et al. Use of ultramolecular potencies of allergen to treat asthmatic people allergic to house dust mite: double blind randomised controlled clinical trial. BMJ 2002; 324: 520-523.
- 9 White A., Slade P., Hunt C., Hart A., Ernst E. Individualised homeopathy as an adjunct in the treatment of childhood asthma; a randomised placebo controlled trial. Thorax 2003; 58: 317-321.
- 10 Mc Carney RW, Linde K, Lasserson TJ. Homeopathy for chronic asthma (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, Chichester, UK: Wiley; 2004.
- 11 Itamura R., Hosoya R. Homeopathic treatment of Japanese patients with intractable atopic dermatitis. Homp 2003; 92: 108-114.
- 12 Guggisberg A.G., Baumgartner S.M., Tschopp C.M., Heusser P. Replication study concerning the effects of homeopathic dilutions of histamine on human basophil degranulation in vitro. Complem Ther Med 2005; 13: 91-100.
- 13 Sainte-Laudy J., Belon P. Improvement of flow cytometric analysis by basophil activation inhibition by high histamine dilutions. A novel basophil specific marker, the CD 203c. Homp 2006; 95: 3-8.
- 14 Poitevin B., Aubin M., Benveniste J. Approche analytique quantitative de l'effet d'Apis mellifica sur la dégranulation des basophiles humains in vitro. ITBM 1986; 7 (01) 64-68.
- 15 Poitevin B., Davenas E., Benveniste J. In vitro immunological degranulation of human basophils is modulated by lung histamine and Apis mellifica . Br J Clin Pharmacol 1988; 25: 439-444.
- 16 Texeira M.Z. Is there scientific evidence that suppression of acute diseases in childhood induce chronic diseases in the future?. Homp 2002; 91: 207-216.
- 17 Adler U.C. The influence of childhood infections and vaccination on the development of atopy: a systematic review of the direct epidemiological evidence. Homp 2005; 94: 182-185.
- 18 Bellavite P. Complexity science and homeopathy: a synthetic overview. Homp 2003; 92: 203-212.