Homeopathy and respiratory allergies: a series of 147 cases
Received11 May 2004
revised03 November 2005
accepted06 January 2006
29 December 2017 (online)
Allergies, especially respiratory allergies, are one of the indications for which homeopathic treatment is most frequently sought. The progress of 147 cases of respiratory allergy since in private homeopathic practice is reported here. Only two cases of ear, nose and throat (ENT) allergies out of a total of 105 showed no improvement, no patients deteriorated. Two cases with worsening and three without improvement were noted out of 42 cases of pulmonary allergies. The constitutional homeopathic remedies varied, Lycopodium, Pulsatilla and Sulphur were most frequently prescribed for ENT allergies, there was no predominantly prescribed remedy in the pulmonary allergy group.
Thirty one cases of respiratory allergies consulted only once. The reasons for such a state have been reviewed. If all these cases were therapeutic failures, the success rate of the homeopathic treatment is 87.6%.
- 1 Colin P. An epidemiological study of homeopathic practice. Br Hom J 2000; 89: 116-121.
- 2 Reilly D.T., Taylor M.A. Potent placebo or potency? A proposed study model with initial findings using homoepathy prepared pollens in hay fever. Br Hom J 1985; 74: 65-75.
- 3 Reilly D.T., Taylor M.A., McSharry C., Aitchison T. Is homeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homeopathic potency, with pollen in hay fever as model. Lancet 1986; ii: 881-886.
- 4 Aabel S., Laerum E., Dolvik S., Djupesland P. Is homeopathic ‘immunotherapy effective’? A double-blind, placebo controlled trial with the isopathic remedy. Betula 30C for patients with birch pollen allergy. Br Hom J 2000; 89: 161-168.
- 5 Aabel S. No beneficial effect if isopathic prophyllactic treatment for birch pollen allergy during a low-pollen season; a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with the homeopathic remedy Betula 30C. Br Hom J 2000; 89: 169-173.
- 6 L’Homéopathie Européenne, special issue: ‘Allergologie et homéopathie’ 1999;4:102–119.
- 7 Poitevin B. Quand les médicaments homéopathiques sont aussi des allergènes—conséquences pharmacologiques. Homéopathie Européenne 2000; 6: 171-178.
- 8 Poitevin B. Les effets paradoxaux des hautes dilutions d’allergènes. L’Homéopathie Européenne 2001; 3: 80-83.