A Bayesian perspective on the reliability of homeopathic repertories
Received03 November 2005
accepted19 January 2006
29 December 2017 (online)
An interim assessment of likelihood ratio of homeopathic symptoms shows that there are serious flaws in Kent's repertory. The system of expressing relationship between symptoms and expected results from medicines by typeface is unclear and unreliable. Bayesian methods can improve this and expand the possibilities of the repertory including the possibility of interpreting the absence of expected symptoms.
- 1 Kent JT. Repertory of the Homeopathic Materia Medica. New Delhi (India): World Homeopathic Links, 1945.
- 2 Hering C. The Guiding Symptoms of Our Materia Medica. New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers, 1974.
- 3 Stolper C.F., Rutten A.L., Lugten R.F., Barthels R.J. Improving homeopathic prescribing by applying epidemiological techniques: the role of likelihood ratio. Homeopathy 2002; 91: 230-238.
- 4 Katz J, Chaushu G, Peretz B. Recurrent oral ulcerations associated with recurrent herpes labialis—two distinct entities?, Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2001;29:260–263.
- 5 Shulman J.D., Carpenter W.M., Lewis D.L. The prevalence of recurrent herpes labialis during an army hot weather exercise. J Public Health Dent 1992; 52: 198-203.
- 6 Axell T., Liedholm R. Occurrence of recurrent herpes labialis in an adult Swedish population. Acta Odontol Scand 1990; 48: 119-123.
- 7 Embil J.A., Stephens R.G., Manuel F.R. Prevalence of recurrent herpes labialis and aphthous ulcers among young adults on six continents. Can Med Assoc J 1975; 113: 627-630.
- 8 Hublin C., Kaprio J., Partinen M., Koskenvuo M. Sleep bruxism based on self-report in a nationwide twin cohort. J Sleep Res 1998; 7: 61-67.
- 9 Solberg W.K., Woo M.W., Houston J.B. Prevalence of mandibular dysfunction in young adults. J Am Dent Assoc 1979; 98: 25-34.
- 10 Ng D.K., Kwok K.L., Poon G., Chau K.W. Habitual snoring and sleep bruxism in a paediatric outpatient population in Hong Kong. Singapore Med J 2002; 43: 55.
- 11 Lavigne G.L., Lobbezoo F., Rompre P.H., Nielsen T.A., Montplaisir J. Cigarette smoking as a risk factor or an exacerbating factor for restless legs syndrome and sleep bruxism. Sleep 1997; 20: 290-293.
- 12 Oginni O., Olusile A.O. The prevalence, aetiology and clinical appearance of tooth wear: the Nigerian experience. Int Dent J 2002; 52: 268-272.
- 13 Melis M., Abou-Atme Y.S. Prevalence of bruxism awareness in a Sardinian population. Cranio 2003; 21: 144-151.