Homeopathic approach in the treatment of patients with mental disability
Received21 December 2004
revised31 January 2005
accepted03 October 2005
02 January 2018 (online)
The author describes his experience assisting mentally disabled patients with homeopathy. In these patients’ anamneses, common traits shared by some syndromes, pathologies and behaviour, were taken into consideration, mainly to choose the most characteristic symptoms in each case. The study includes 58 cases of patients suffering from this pathology: 28 females and 30 males, ages ranging from 1 to 49 years (mean 20). Forty-seven had some improvement.
Homeopathy is a useful alternative to relieve pathologies associated with mental disability. In those cases in which there were similarities between remedy and whole symptomatology, improvements in adaptation skills and in overall health were observed.
- 1 Szabó L.I. Que Puede Hacer la Homeopatia por los Niños Discapacitados Mentales. Acta Hom Argent 1997; 18 (56) 197-205 abr.-set.
- 2 Vickers A. Homœopathy and disability. Br Hom J 1993; 82 (01) 53-57.
- 3 Ribeiro Filho A. Novo Repertório de Sintomas Homeopáticos. São Paulo, Robe Editorial, 1996.
- 4 Lucasson R. et al. Mental Retardation: Definition Classification and Systems of Supports. 9th edn. Washington: AAMR, c1992; 1997.
- 5 Molteno G., Molteno C.D., Finchilescu G., Dawes A.R. Behavioural and emotional problems in children with intellectual disability attending special schools in Cape Town, South Africa. J Intellect Disabil Res 2001; 45 (Part 6): 515-520.
- 6 Pires E.S. Utilização de Medicamentos Homeopáticos em Síndrome de Down. Estudo Comparativo. Homeopatia Brasileira 1995; 2 (1–2–3): 215-221.
- 7 Diamnet A., Cypel S. Neurologia Infantil. 3rd edn. São Paulo: Atheneu; 1996.
- 8 Haidvogl M., Lehner E. Homœopathic treatment of handicapped children—review of a series of 40 cases. Br Hom J 1993; 82 (04) 227-236.
- 9 Holm V.A., Cassidy S.B., Butler M.G., Hanchett J.M., Greenswag L.R., Whitman B.Y., Greenberg F. Prader-Willi syndrome: consensus diagnostic criteria. Pediatrics 1993; 91: 398-402.
- 10 Brandão ME, Korosue AL. Deficiência Mental—Síndrome de Rubinstein-Taybi. Available in http://www.entreamigos.com.br. Internet accessed in May 2005.
- 11 Deb S., Thomas M., Bright C. Mental disorder in adults with intellectual disability. 2: the rate of behaviour disorders among a community-based population aged between 16 and 64 years. J Intellect Disabil Res 2001; 45 (Part 6): 506-514.
- 12 Dolce Filho R. Hierarquização dos Sintomas em Enfermidades Crônicas. Rev Homeopatia 1998; 63 (01/02) 33-43.
- 13 Schroyens F. Synthesis. Repertorium Homeopathicum Syntheticum. London: Homeopathic Book Publishers; 1993.
- 14 Schwartzman JS. Deficiência Mental—Síndrome de Prader-Willi. Available in http://www.entreamigos.com.br. Internet accessed in May 2005.
- 15 Swayne J. The homœpathic treatment of behaviour disorders in adults with mental handicap. Homœopathy 1989; 39: 35-39.
- 16 Zandvoort R.V. The Complete Repertory—Mind—Generalities. Leischendam: Institute of Research in Homeopathic Information and Symptomatology; 1996.