Changes in patients visiting a homeopathic clinic in Norway from 1994 to 2004
21 February 2005
revised 20 May 2005
accepted 15 August 2005
17 December 2017 (online)
Aim There are a few examining changes in patient groups seeking homeopathic care. This study describes changes in complaints and characteristics of patients visiting a homeopathic clinic in Norway from 1994/1995 to 2003/2004.
Methods Two surveys were conducted, each including data for 700 patients who had visited the same homeopathic clinic, with five (1995) and seven (2004) homeopaths, respectively. Data on patients’ gender, age, occupation, reason for encounter and where they had heard about homeopathy and the homeopathic clinic were registered by the homeopaths. In 2004, the patients also answered questions on the previous use of conventional treatment and how long it took them to decide to consult a homeopath.
Results There are no changes in the reason for encounter and gender proportions between 1995 and 2004. Over 36% of patients were under the age of 16 in 2004, compared to 26% in 1995. Most patients still consult homeopaths through a lay referral network. In 2004, more than 60% made an appointment with a homeopath within the first month of first considering it.
Conclusion There are few changes in the characteristics of this homeopathic patient population. There is a need for studies that explore the ‘why question’; Why an increasing percentage of patients are children? Why people with higher education and why certain age groups visit homeopaths more frequently than others?
-  Ot.prp. nr. 27 (2002–2003). Om lov om alternativ behandling av sykdom mv. [On law relating to the alternative treatment of disease, etc.] http://odin.dep.no/repub/02-03/otprp/27/
-  Norges Offentlige Utredninger. Alternativ Medisin NOU 1998-21. [Report on Alternative Medicine.] http://odin.dep.no/nou/1998-21/index.htm
-  Lov om alternativ behandling av sykdom mv. [Act No. 64 of 27 June 2003 relating to the alternative treatment of disease, illness, etc.] http://www.stortinget.no/beso/beso-200203-104.html
-  Register for alternative behandlere. [Register for alternative practitioners.] http://www.brreg.no/english/registers/voluntary/index.html
- 5 Hovland I.T.B.. Markedsundersøkelse av pasientgrunnlag. [Market survey of patients.]. Dynamis 1996; 10 (01) 19-22.
- 6 Steinsbekk A., Fønnebø V.. Users of homeopaths in Norway in 1998, compared to previous users and GP patients. Homeopathy 2003; 92: 3-10
- 7 Straumsheim P.A.. Pasientregistrering. Del 2. Pasienters vurdering av homeopatisk praksis. [Patient registration part 2.]. Dynamis 1993 2. 5-6
- 8 Lærum E., Borchgrevink C.F., Wiens G.. [Who goes to the homeopath? Why, with which complaints and what is done?] ‘Hvem går til homøpat?’. Tidsskr Nor Lægeforen 1985; 105: 2478-2482.
- 9 Røisland B. Pasienten og alternativ medisin. En analyse av en homeopats praksis i en mindre norsk by. Spesialoppgave i medisinske atferdsfag. [The patient and alternative medicine. An analysis of a homeopathic practice in a small Norwegian city. Medical behavioural studies.] Universitetet i Oslo, 1983.
- 10 Straumsheim P.A.. Pasientregistrering. Del 1. Registrering av pasienter i homeopatisk praksis [Patient registration part 1.]. Dynamis 1992 03. 18-20
- 11 Attena F., Del Guidice N., Verrengia G., Granito C.. Homeoeopathy in primary care: self-reported change in health status. Compl. Ther. Medi 2000; 8: 21-25.
- 12 Jain A.. Does homeopathy reduce the cost of conventional drug prescribing? A study of comparative prescribing costs in General Practice. Homeopathy 2003; 92 (02) 71-76.
- 13 Van Wassenhoven M., Ives G.. An observational study of patients receiving homeopathic treatment. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 3-11.
- 14 Trichard M., Lamure E., Chaufferin G.. Study of the practice of homeopathic general practitioners in France. Homeopathy 2003; 92: 135-139.
- 15 Anelli M., Scheepers L., Sermeus G., Van Wassenhoven M.. Homeopathy and health related quality of life: a survey in six European countries. Homeopathy 2002; 91: 18-21.
- 16 Slade K., Chohan B.P.S., Barker P.J.. Evaluation of a GP practice based homeopathy service. Homeopathy 2004; 93 (02) 67-70.
- 17 Colin P.. An epidemiological study of a homeopathic practice. Br Homeopath J 2000; 89 (03) 116-121.
- 18 Lee ACC, Kemper KJ. Homeopathy and naturopathy. practice characteristics and pedicatric care. Arch Pediatr Adloesc Med 2000; 154.
- 19 Goldstein MS, Glik D. Use of and satisfaction with homeopathy in a patient population. Altern Ther 1998; 4(2).
- 20 Sevar R.. Audit of outcome in 829 consecutive patients treated with homeopathic medicines. Br Homeopath J 2000; 89 (04) 178-187.
- 21 Jacobs J., Chapman E.H., Crothers D.. Patient characteristics and practice patterns of physicians using homeopathy. Arch Fam Med 1998; 7: 537-540.
- 22 Treuherz F.. Homoeopathy in general practice: a descriptive report of work with 500 consecutive patients between 1993 and 1998. Br Homoeopath J 2000; 89 S1 43
- 23 Wood M., Lamberts H.. ICPC, International Classification of Primary Care/Prepared for the World Organisation of National Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicians (WONCA) by the ICPC Working Party. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1987
- 24 The Merk Manual, 15th ed. Merck Sharp & Dohme Research Laboratories, 1987.
-  Statistisk sentralbyrås håndbøker. Yrkeskatalog pr. November 2002. http://www.ssb.no/emner/06/yrke
- 26 Kirkwood B.R.. Essentials of Medical Statistics. London: Blackwell Science; 1998
- 27 Rokstad K., Straand J., Sandvik H.. [Patient encounters in general practice. An epidemiological survey in More and Romsdal.] Pasientkontakter i allmennpraksis. Tidsskr Nor Lægeforen 1997; 117: 659-664.
- 28 Aasland O.G., Borchgrevink C F., Fugelli P.. Norwegian physicians and alternative medicine. Knowledge, attitudes and experiences. Tidsskr Nor Lægeforen 1997; 117 (17) 2464-2468.
- 29 Pedersen E.J., Norheim A.J., Fønnebø V.. Attitudes of Norwegian physicians to homeopathy. Questionnaire among 2019 physicians. Tidsskr Nor Lægeforen 1996; 116 (18) 2186-2189.
-  Statistics Norway, Employed persons, by occupation and county of residence. Annual average 2004. http://www.ssb.no/emner/06/01/yrkeaku/tab-2005-02-02-07.html , 13.02.05.