Audit of outcome in 455 consecutive patients treated with homeopathic medicines
18 March 2005
revised 01 July 2005
accepted 25 July 2005
29 December 2017 (online)
This paper reports an audit of clinical outcome in 455 consecutive patients (1100 consultations) presenting for private homeopathic treatment of a chronic illness in which conventional treatment had either: failed, reached a plateau in effect, or was contra-indicated by side effects, age or condition of the patient.
Three hundred and four patients (66.8%) derived benefit from homeopathic treatment.
One hundred and forty-eight patients (32.5%) were able to stop or maintain a substantial reduction in their conventional drugs.
The 10 most frequent clinical conditions treated were eczema, anxiety, depression, osteoarthritis, asthma, back pain, chronic cough, chronic fatigue, headaches and essential hypertension. These 195 patients constitute 43% of the total, 151 of them (77%) were improved.
The success rate of treatment is similar between age ranges. There was a difference in outcome between the sexes in adults: 296 females treated, success rate 71.3%; 159 males treated, success rate 58.5%.
Two patients (0.4%) had prolonged aggravation of their presenting complaints apparently attributable to homeopathic treatment.
- 1 Reilly D. The evidence for homeopathy. (Produced for Grampian Health Board.) Glasgow Academic Departments of Homeopathy, 1995.
- 2 Sevar R. Audit of outcome in 829 consecutive patients treated with homeopathic medicines. Br Hom J 2000; 89: 178-187.
- 3 Spence D. Clinical outcome audit: Bristol Homeopathic Hospital. Br Hom J 2000; 89 (Suppl. 01) 544
- 4 Neville-Smith R. Community Hospital Homeopathy Clinic: audit of the first 12 months activity. Br Hom J 1999; 88 (01) 20-23.
- 5 Eizayaga F.X, Eizayaga J, Eizayaga F.H. Homeopathic treatment of bronchial asthma: retrospective study of 62 cases. Br Hom J 1996; 85: 28-33.
- 6 Davidson J.R.T, Morrison R.M, Shore J, Davidson R.T, Bedayn G. Homeopathic treatment of depression and anxiety. Alter Ther Health Med 1997; 3 (01) 46-49.
- 7 Spence D.S. Homeopathic treatment of eczema: a retrospective survey of 130 cases. Br Hom J 1991; 80: 74-81.
- 8 Van Wassenhoven M. Retrospective study of rheumatological patients in a private homeopathic medical practice. Br Hom J 1996; 85: 198-204.