Classical and new proving methodology: Provings of Plumbum metallicum and Piper methysticum and comparison with a classical proving of Plumbum metallicum
01 July 2004
revised 11 October 2004
accepted 21 January 2005
29 December 2017 (online)
Objective To study the reliability of a proving methodology and the reproducibility of proving symptoms.
Methods Two homeopathic medicines and placebo were given, in a double-blind randomized design, to 31 healthy volunteers (13 Piper methysticum 30C, 11 placebo and 7 Plumbum metallicum 30C), 5 drops 4 times daily, until the onset of unbearable symptoms, or at most for 1 week. The primary outcome measure was the number of phrases containing unusual or new symptoms selected by supervisors (SEL) from unstructured diaries and the number of these symptoms (SYM) present in SELs. The secondary outcome measures were the number of symptoms with modalities of both verum groups concordant with symptoms reported in a previous proving of Plumbum 12C. Other parameters evaluated were repeated and crossed symptoms in SELs.
Results Both medicines showed qualitative and quantitative differences from placebo. Piper: 146 SELs (median: 5), Plumbum: 118 SELs (16), placebo: 48 SELs (2), containing 260 (8), 199 (29) and 58 (2) SYMs, respectively. There was a significant difference from placebo in Plumbum but not in Piper SELs and SYMs (P<0.05). 31, 24 and 4 ‘repeated’ and 18, 22 and 2 ‘crossed’ symptoms were found in Piper, Plumbum and placebo. 8 and 30 symptoms concordant with the classical proving of Plumbum were found for Piper and Plumbum, corresponding to about 10% and 45% of their total SELs.
Conclusions Open diaries, supervision and double-blind placebo are useful methods in homeopathic pathogenetic trials. Estimates of concordance should be introduced in proving methodology.
- 1 Dantas F. How can we get more reliable information from homeopathic pathogenetic trials? A critique of ‘provings’. Br Hom J 1996; 85: 230-236.
- 2 Hahnemann S. Essay on a new principle for ascertaining the curative powers of drugs, and some examinations of the previous principles. Hufeland's Journal 1796; 2: 391
- 3 Sherr J. Malvern: Dynamis Books; Dynamis School. Dynamic Provings. Vol 1 1997.
- 4 Comissao de Pesquisa—AMHB, et al. Bothrops Jararacussu, Rev Hom, 1999; 3: 47–74.
- 5 Sankaran R. Provings. Mumbai: Homeopathic Medical Publishers; 1998.
- 6 Hahnemann S. (Italian translation of the sixth German edition) Organon dell’arte del guarire. Como: Edizioni di red. 1985, parr. 105–145.
- 7 Hahnemann S. (Italian translation of the sixth German edition) Organon dell’arte del guarire, Como: Edizioni di red. 1985, parr. 129, 132.
- 8 Kent, JT. traslated in Italian from English original edition) Lezioni di Filosofia Omeopatica. Como: Lesson XXVIII, La Sperimentazione: Edizioni di red., 1986.
- 9 Walach H. et al. The effect of homeopathic Belladonna 30 CH in healthy volunteers—a randomized, double-blind experiment. J. psychosomat Res 2001; 50: 155-160.
- 10 Sherr J. The Dynamics and Methodology of Homeopathic Proving. Malvern: Dynamis Books; 1994.
- 11 Dantas F, Fisher P. A systematic review of homeopathic pathogenetic trials (‘provings’) published in the United Kingdom from 1945 to 1995. in: Ernst E, Hahn E.G. Homeopathy–—A critical appraisal. 1998. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann;
- 12 Vickers A.J, van Haselen R, Heger M. Can homeopathically prepared mercury cause symptoms in healthy volunteers? A randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trial. J Altern Comp Med 2001; 7: 123-125.
- 13 Brien S, Lewith G, Bryant T. Ultramolecular homeopathy has no observable clinical effects. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled proving trial of Belladonna 30C. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2003; 56: 562-568.
- 14 Elia V, Niccoli M. Thermodynamics of extremely diluted aqueous solutions. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1999; 879: 241-248.
- 15 Elia V, Niccoli M. New physico-chemical properties of water induced by mechanical treatments. A calorimetric study at 25°C. J Therm Anal Cal 2000; 61: 527-537.
- 16 Elia V, Niccoli M. New physico-chemical properties of extremely Diluted Aqueous Solutions. J Therm Anal Cal 2004; 75: 815-836.
- 17 Elia V, Niccoli M. Permanent physico-chemical properties of extremely diluted aqueous solutions of homeopathic medicines. Homeopathy 2004; 93: 144-150.
- 18 Betti L, Lazzarato L, Trebbi G, Brizzi M, Calzoni G.L, Borghini F, Nani D. Effects of homeopathic arsenic on tobacco plant resistance to tobacco mosaic virus. Theoretical suggestions about system variability, based on a large experimental data set. Homeopathy 2003; 92: 195-202.
- 19 Brizzi M, Nani D, Peruzzi M, Betti L. Statistical analysis of the effect of high dilutions of arsenic in a large dataset from a wheat germination model. Br Hom J 2000; 89: 63-67.
- 20 Brack A, Strube J, Stolz P, Decker H. Effects of ultrahigh dilutions of 3,5-dichlorophenolon on the luminescence of bacterium Vibrio fischeri . Biochim Biophys Acta 2003; 1621: 253-260.
- 21 Signorini A. et al. Arsenicum bromatum: un proving medicinale omeopatico triennale (Arsenicum bromatum: a three-years homeopathic drug proving). Atti del 2° Congresso Nazionale FIAMO 6–8 Ottobre 2000: 65-70.
- 22 Allen T. Handbook of Materia Medica and Homeopathic Therapeutics, 1889. Reprint Edition: New Delhi: B. Jain Publisher Pvt. Ltd., 1994.
- 23 Kent JT. Lectures on Homeopathic Materia Medica. Reprint Edition: New Delhi: B. Jain Publisher Pvt. Ltd., 1990.
- 24 Hartlaub, CGC, Trinks, CF. Reine Arzneimittellehre, Erster Band. F.A. Brockhaus, Leipzig: available at: Documentation & Library, DHU—Deutsche Homöopathie—Union GmbH & Co KG, Ottostr. 24, 76227 Karlsrhue, Germany, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- 25 Harrison's 15th Edition Principles of Internal Medicine, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- 26 Signorini A., Il Proving Medicinale Omeopatico nelle Scuole di Omeopatia (Homeopathic drug proving in the homeopathic schools). Atti del 1° Congresso Nazionale FIAMO, Roma 2–3 Ottobre 1999, pp. 5-10.
- 27 Signorini A. La scheda Raccolta Dati e Metodologia di un Proving Omeopatico—Una proposta pratica per le scuole (The data collection form and methodology of a homeopathic proving). Il Med Omeopata 1999; 10: 33-35.
- 28 Kent JT (Reprint Edition of sixth American Edition). Repertory of the Homeopathic Materia Medica New Delhi: B. Jain Publishers Pvt. Ltd., 1990.
- 29 Synthesis 8.0 (2002-2003)—RADAR Homeopathic Software for Windows. See: www.archibel.com .
- 30 Glantz S. Statistica per Discipline Biomediche (original title: Primer of Biostatistics). Milano: McGraw-Hill; 1997.
- 31 The data in Italian are available from email@example.com .
- 32 Hahnemann S. (Italian translation of the sixth German edition) Organon dell’arte del guarire Como: Edizioni di red., 1985, parr. 138.
- 33 Escola Paulista de Homeopatia. Lapis lazuli, a proving. Hom Links 2004; 17(1):44–47.
- 34 Barsky A.J, Saintfort R, Rogers M.P, Borus J.F. Nonspecific medication side effects and the nocebo phenomenon. JAMA 2002; 287 (05) 622-627.
- 35 Staats P.S, Staats A, Hekmat H. The additive impact of anxiety and a placebo on pain. Pain Med 2001; 2 (04) 267-279.
- 36 Hahnemann S. (Italian translation of the sixth German edition) Organon dell’arte del guarire Como: Edizioni di red., 1985, parr. 11-note, parr. 31-note.
- 37 Hahnemann S. (Italian translation of the sixth German edition). Organon dell’arte del guarire Como: Edizioni di red., 1985, parr. 135.